Chapter 20: Heartache

I could hear all the boys downstairs, talking and laughing. All except one, Dallas.
I sighed and averted my gaze to the ceiling. My eyes began to grow wet and tears spilled down my cheeks.
"God, what have I done?" I cried, sobbing into my hands.
There was a soft tap of a hand at the door, "Syd? Can I come in?" They called out.
"Yeah." I quickly wiped the tears from my eyes with my sleeves and tried my best to fake a smile.
"You alright?" It was soda. He stood in the doorway with arms crossed and a worried look on his face.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied.
"What's wrong, Darlin?" He asked, sitting beside me on the bed.
"Nothing, I'm fine." I forced a little smile and tried desperately to make him believe me, but it was no use. He could read me like an open book.
"I know that's not true, Syd." Soda whispered and tucked my bangs behind my ear.
"Is nobody getting what's happened or is everybody  just choosing to ignore it?" I burst out, tears welling in my eyes, "Dallas is gone, and he's probably not gonna come back! It's my fault, he probably hates me."
Soda pulled me into his chest and I sobbed into his shirt, "everything's gonna be okay, Dally just needs some time to cool off, it'll be alright." He said, stroking my hair.
"You promise?" I looked into his eyes, and he cracked a smile.
"Cross my heart."
After Soda went back downstairs, I took a shower and changed clothes, then joined the rest of the gang for breakfast.
"Mornin' Sweetheart" Darry smiled, wrapping me in a big bear hug.
"Mornin' Dar." I grinned and squeezed him tightly.
All the boys were at the table, Two-Bit was cracking jokes and making everyone laugh, as usual. I couldn't help but notice the empty chair between Johnny and Pony, it was Dally's seat.
I could see him there now, lighting up a smoke and griping when Darry tells him to put it out, or asking Ponyboy when he's gonna get a girl, or him and two-bit getting into arguments about who has better hair. Everything was so different without Dallas Winston, and I didn't like it not one bit.
Later that evening, everyone settled down, Steve and Soda had to work a late shift at the DX, Darry was sitting in the recliner watching tv, and Pony and Johnny had went to the drive-in with Two-Bit. They invited me to come, but I told them I didn't wanna go.
"Hey Darry," I lowered the newspaper from his eyes.
"Yeah, little buddy?" His gaze met mine and he smiled up at me.
"I change my mind, can I go to the drive-in, please?" I asked, pouting my lip and making it wobble.
"Yeah I guess, I can't resist the puppy dog face." He grinned and ruffled my hair.
"Just be careful okay," he said more seriously, I could tell by the tone is his voice.
"Don't worry Dar' I will." I blew him a kiss and he caught it, shoving it in his pocket, then closed the door.
The cold air hit my face, causing my body to shiver. Even though it was warm during the day, Tulsa got pretty cold at night.
I could tell I was getting close when the big "Nightly Double." Sign came into view.
The bright lights lit up the night sky even from far away. A small squeal escaped my lips when a large hand covered my mouth, the other one wrapped around my wrists.
I struggled to free myself, but their grip was too strong, and my screams were useless because they were muffled and offered no help.
Eventually, I gave up trying to escape and my attacker dragged me away into the night.