Chapter 1: Starting Summer

"Breakfast!" I hear Darry's loud voice echo throughout the house, breaking the early morning silence. My eyelids flutter open and I stretch deeply.

I swing my legs off the bed and put on a pair of my sweats and a baggy grey T-shirt that I stole from Soda.

I walk out into the hallway only to find that the bathroom has already been claimed. I roll my eyes and bang on the door,
"hurry up will you!"
I hear Ponyboy laugh on the other side of the door,
"maybe I will, maybe I won't" he says sarcastically.
After Pony gets out I go brush my teeth and head down stairs for breakfast.
"Good morning Sunshine!" Jokes Two-Bit.
I punch him hard in the arm and laugh.
"You think you're hilarious don't you?
I asked.
"I thought it was Funny!" Said Steve.

Darry pulled out a chair and motioned for me to sit down and set a plate of eggs, bacon, and pancakes in front of me.

"Nobody asked for your input Randle." Darry pointed at Steve and grinned.

Soda pop stumbled downstairs and Ponyboy followed behind. Soda put Steve in a headlock and rubbed his head with his knuckles.
"Cut that out Soda before I have to bust ya in the mouth!" Steve exclaimed.

I laughed along with everyone else almost spitting out my mouthful of pancakes. That's usually how mornings in the Curtis household went. The whole gang practically lived with us. There's Two-Bit Mathews who did live with us and Steve Randle.
"Hey there Fellas the party's here!"
In waltzes Dallas Winston, and behind him is Johnny Cade, the other two members of our gang. Dally really was the life of the party. I loved Dally he was like another big brother to me, all of the guys were. He came over and grabbed me out of my chair and threw me over his shoulder.

"Dallas Winston put me down!" I laughed and punched him in the back.
"Alright, alright don't start that damn whining."
He laughed and threw me on the couch.

After breakfast everyone came in the living room and watched cartoons. Darry sat in his chair reading the paper, me Johnny, Ponyboy and Dally sat on the couch and Two-Bit, Steve and Soda sat in the floor arm wrestling for the last piece of Darry's famous chocolate cake. I was really craving a cigarette.
"Hey Johnny," I asked "got any cigarettes?"
"Yeah I could use one right now too." He smiled.