Chapter 7: out in the open

**Sydnee's POV**

We got back home and settled in. The gang was doing the usual. Two-Bit was watching Mickey and eating chocolate cake, Steve and Soda were playing poker, Ponyboy had his nose in "To Kill A Mockingbird.", And Dally was rambling on about a girl he tried to pick up at the nightly double.
"Hey Johnny," I whispered.
"Hmm?" He was almost asleep I felt bad for waking him up.
"How about that cigarette?"
He pulled the pack out of his pocket and pointed towards the door.
We decided to go to the lot. I don't think we'll have to Worry about the Socs for a while beings that Bob and his buddies are on house arrest.

I knew I had to tell him. I was tired of keeping it inside. I honestly didn't know what would happen, but I guess I'm gonna find out.
Johnny blew some smoke rings in the air and grinned at me. My knees felt weak. What was Johnny Cade doing to me?
"Listen Johnny, there's something I need to get off my chest."
"Go ahead man, what's on your mind?"
"I don't know Johnny, I-I just...," I struggled to spit out the words.
"What is it Syd? C'mon You can tell me I won't laugh."
"I'm catching feelings for you Johnny Cade!" I blurted out.
I immediately covered my mouth and dropped my head in shame.
"What?" He said in disbelief.
"I like you-Johnny," I gulped, "I have for a while now. I just didn't know how to tell ya."
I looked at my feet in embarrassment. What have I done? Then I feel a hand grab mine.
"It's okay Syd, I ain't mad, because-um,"
He paused, "I like you too."
He did that cute thing where he rubs the back of his neck when he's nervous.
Johnny leans in and our noses are so close they almost touch. I freeze, I don't know what to do. Next thing I know Johnny's lips are on mine. He cups my face with his hands and pulls me in closer.
After a few seconds he quickly pulls away and his eyes are as big as the moon. He looks away shyly.
"I'm sorry Syd, I don't know what got into me." He shoved his hands in jacket pockets.

**Johnnys POV**
What'd you do that for stupid? I asked myself. I went to pull a cigarette out of the pack when I feel her grab my face and put her lips on mine.
"Why'd you apologize," she whispered,
"I never said anything about being mad."
My first kiss. Man did I feel on top of the world.

We got back to the Curtis house a little bit before everyone was going to sleep.
"Goodnight you two, sleep tight." Darry wrapped me and Syd up in a big hug.

I was just about to go into Ponyboy's room when Sydnee grabbed my arm.
"Wait Johnny," she whispered, "I'm not really tired. Are you?"
I smiled and shook my head. "Nah, lets see what's on TV."
I don't know what's been happening lately but me and Syd have gotten closer than ever. She shows me what it feels like to be cared about so does the whole gang. Something I've never got from my folks.
Syd, Dally, Darry, Two-Bit, Ponyboy, Steve, and Soda, they are my family and this is where I'm home.