Chapter 5: a breakthrough

**Johnny'a POV**

I tried to be as quiet as I could sneaking into Ponyboy's room. He had went to sleep before I did so I didn't want to wake him up.
As I laid down beside Ponyboy I thought about today. I felt weird about what happened at the church. So many thoughts ran through my mind.
Why couldn't I let go of her hand? Why did I feel like my stomach was turning flips? I didn't know, so I shook away the thoughts and tried to get some sleep.

I woke up the next morning to the bright sun shining in my eyes and the gang being loud as heck downstairs.
I stumbled out of bed to go see what everyone was up to.
"Morning Johnny!" Darry exclaimed.
He was sitting in his chair reading the paper while the rest of the gang watched Tv. I looked at the clock, and it was already almost noon.
"Morning Dar." I said in the middle of a yawn.
"Hey Johnny," said Two-Bit, "Syd told us to give you this note when you woke up."
Two handed me a crumpled piece of notebook paper that read:
"Johnny,
Meet me at the Dingo after you wake up. Bring your appetite.

-Syd."
I went upstairs and got dressed. Since I was at the Curtis house pretty much all the time, most of my clothes were there.
I grabbed a black T-Shirt and slipped it on, along with a pair of jeans and my converse.
"See you guys later!" I yelled as I was walking out. The Dingo wasn't to long of a way from the Curtis house so I'd make good time getting there.
Sydnee is already there waiting for me sitting on the table swinging her legs. I hope she hasn't been waiting too long for me.
"Hey Johnny! I hope you're hungry." She said as she pointed to the cheeseburgers and fries behind us.
"I sure am." I laughed.

We ate our food and talked for a little while then we decided to go to the park.
I jumped in a swing and Syd jumped in the one next to me.
I watched her as she swung. Her long brown hair flew behind her with every swing and her blue eyes seemed a little bit brighter in the sun. She smiled and laughed.
Man did I love hearing her laugh. "What did I just say?" I asked myself. She's one of your best friends you can't be thinking about her like that.
After we swung for a little while, we climbed on top of the jungle gym to watch the sun set.
"I had a lot of fun today Johnny." She nudged me with her elbow.
"Yeah I did too. Thanks for the lunch." I rubbed the back of my neck and smiled. I usually do that when I'm nervous.
"No problem." She winked.
Then Everything went black.