Clickity- Click

I woke up as the thunder shook my house, just in time to see the power fade. My dog was freaking out as usual. He hates storms, you see. When the lights go out, he scampers from room to room, his nails clickity-clack on my hardwood floors. I'd never seen a pet so afraid of the dark. 

As I rummaged through my night stand to find a flashlight, he stopped and yelped. 

"Calm down Max, I'm looking for it. "

I heard his nails against the floor as he found his way back to me in the dark. Finally pulling out the flashlight, I turned in on to make him feel better. 

"Come on boy, it's okay."

Scanning the room with my light from the bed, a caught a glimpse of his nose from behind the bookshelf. 

"Come on Max, I've got the flashlight." 

He peeked his head out barely, with a look of frozen terror in his eyes, then pulled it back in again. 

"Whatever. I'm thirsty anyway." 

I got up and stumbled to the kitchen, then stopped dead in my tracks. What laid before made me nearly vomit. Sprawled across the floor was my dog, splattered in his own blood. His head had been hacked off. 

As I tried to recover, I heard the clicking of nails approaching from behind me. 

______________________

I don't own this story. All rights go to the original author. 

Goner ^~^