Chapter One: Conception

Padme sat in her pent house apartment in corosant gazing out at the starry night sky. At least she thought it was suppose to be starry. Nothing was ever visible in the city planets sky's at night. The light pollution and smog given off by the planet made it near to impossible to enjoy the beautity of the universe. The honking of the speeders in the sky lanes made it impossible to enjoy the serenity of it. Padme had never seen the appeal of this planet. Why the republic chose to make it the capital. It was so.... Scummy and tainted. With all the beautiful planets in the galaxy why this one?
Certainly hoth would have even been an improvement to this melting pot of disease and filthy. Padme sighed as the realization dawned on her. A melting pot this planet was. One with no generic inhabitants. Creature came from all over the Galaxy to make a life for themselves here. It's mixed nature and overpopulation was the appeal. It was a nice thought but it didn't stop her from missing her home world of naboo. Often times padme wondered if her job in the senate was worth while. If she actually made a difference.
Even with the best of her abilities, the bill to order more troops was passed. She couldn't even convince the chancellor of asokas innocence and the Clovis disaster loomed over her in the senate. She felt as if she was not taken seriously. As if the other delegates looked over her and ignored her words. Could she stop this war with diplomacy? Was that truly the answer?
It seemed like the more diplomatic things got, the further the war raged.... Padme pondered this idea in her head for a moment. What if that was the point? What if the war was being manipulated by the senate? It was an entirely possible hypothesis but who would stoop to separatist ways? It had to be someone high up to hold any significance.
"Honey I'm home." A cheerful and familiar voice rang throughout the apartment, startling padme and waking her from her dazed she turned her attention to the door and smiled, standing up from the couch excitedly. Anakin skywalker swaggered towards her looking as dashing as ever. He flipped his long brown hair back as he walked towards his wife with a smile. The two met in an embrace, anakin picking the senator up by her waist and spinning her around.
"Anni stop," padme giggled. She loved calling her lover by his pet name. It always brought back fond memories. Memories of a simpler time. Back when the two were just children and the war was but a defiance of the trade federation. Anakin smiled as well, sharing in the euphoric feeling.
He placed her down and rubbed his nose on hers, his eyes closed. He had waited all week for this moment. The moment to take off the lightsaber and robes. The moment to shed his Jedi self and become anakin skywalker: husband.
"You seem happy," she pointed out vaguely suspicious.
"When am I not happy to see you princess," he questioned, opening his royal blue eyes to stare into hers. Brown and rich like the soil of her home planet naboo. He loved them so. He barely got the chance to stared at them like this and right now that's all he wanted todo.
"I um..... Brought back something." He said stepping back slightly but still keeping one arm around her. He reached behind his back and pulled out a white flower. His pedals tainted with red splatter. "It's a new flower I discovered on deveron. The people were so greatful they aloud me to name the species. I told them I wanted it named amidala, after the most cut throat senator I know."
Padme blushed and excepted the flower, smelling it slightly. It's smell was unlike any she had smelt before in her life. Almost euphoric. "Anni that's amazing I.... I don't think I deserve it though," she said sadly trying away from his gaze in shame. Anakins face softened in concern. "Don't deserve it? Why my love?"
"I just...," she backed away and walked over to the window, looking back up at the black sky above. "I don't believe in the senator this republic needs me to be. Or maybe this senate isn't the senate the republic needs."
"Padme..." Anakin started, about to warn her of the weight her words carried.
"I'm not a separatist anakin," padme snarled back angry that he would even suggest such a thing. "My opinion isn't heresy. It's fact. This war has dragged on longer than any of us expected and you know good and well that it's not coming to a close."
"Yes padme but that doesn't mean the republic is to blame," anakin replied.
"Maybe not the republic. Maybe a separatist cell in the senate. Maybe a separatist cell in the chancellors..."
"STOP!! I will not sit here and listen to this blasphemy. Chancellor palpatine is a good man padme and is not a separatist and neither is his cabinet." Anakin paused, letting himself calm down. "Look... I'm sorry. I think we're both just stressed that's all. I shouldn't have snapped like that."
"No anni, you were right. I shouldn't assume such things. It's unprofessional. I suppose I am compensating for my own incompetence in the senate," she sighed looking away once again in shame.
"Incompetence?" Anakin questioned moving forward to comfort his while. He came up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and laying his head on her shoulder.
She let out a sigh of sadness. "I am not fit to represent naboo any longer. I realize that now."
"Preposterous."
"Anakin it's true. After Clovis and Asoka and my many other failures.... I can't even remember one thing that I have done right."
"You think Asoka was a failure? You stalled the trial until I had the evidence to prove her innocence. You couldn't control that they were stacked against her or that the Jedi order abandoned her. You helped her prep. You exposed Clovis... Twice and liberated us from the banking clan. You've done more then half of those Pickering children. You're a visionary my love." He turned her around to look her in the eyes. "And don't you ever forget that." With that he kissed her passionately, pressing her body up against the window of the apartment. 
Maybe anakin was right. Maybe she had succeeded in the senate many time. But she had not succeeded where it count. Despite what she told anakin, she still believe the chancellor was hiding something. It was clear to her now that if anakin wasn't going to help her, she would have to help herself. But for now that could wait.
Padme kissed back, pushing anakin back. He staggered and tripped, landing on the couch. "Jackpot," smirked raising his scared eyebrow. "Don't you know it," she replied with a sinister grin. "Let's hope you're not too tired anni. We're just getting started."