Chapter: 10

I woke up to hear James, singing very loudly in the shower. I laughed when I heard the words to the song.

"ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!" He yelled, off pitch and at the top of his lungs. It was the next part that had me swooning at his adorable ness.

"DO DO DO DO! DO DO DO DO DO! DO DO DO DO! DO DO DO DO DO DO! DO DO DOOOO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" By this point, I was wide awake.

I grinned as I put on my robes. I put on a maroon sweater underneath, and a pair of Gryffindor earrings.

When the 'concert' ended, I walked into the bathroom. The mirror was foggy from his shower, so I picked his towel up from the floor and began wiping the mirror off.  James walked in a moment later.

"Why aren't you using magic?" He asked, summoning his comb and gel to him. (That must be how he got his hair so crazy!) I shrugged.

"I don't need to, and I don't think doing magic, simply because I can, is the most wonderful idea I have heard."

"I get it. That actually makes sense." He agreed, smiling at me in the reflection. I blushed, ducking my head. I reached into a drawer and pulled out my hair brush and makeup, before straightening. The blush was gone now, thank goodness.

"Thank you." I replied, somehow managing to keep my voice steady. I couldn't help but think about last night. How everything changed between us.

"No problem!" He grinned. I swear he never stops smiling. I looked up to his hair, and saw that he was struggling to get the comb through. He sighed, the rinsed out all the gel, and settled for drying his hair with a towel.

"Why do girls take so long to get ready in the morning?" He asked, staring at my huge bag of toiletries.

"Because if we don't do our makeup, people ask questions. If we do it differently, people ask questions. If we do anything out of the ordinary, people ask questions or poke fun. It's actually really stressful. But you get used to it." I told him, using a charm to straighten my hair.

"I like your curly hair." He blurted out. I looked at him with wide eyes. He blushed and looked at the floor.

I changed my hair back to it's natural state, then turned to see him with a weird expression on his face.

I finished my makeup, then we headed down to our common room. James and I began gathering our things, trying to clean up so the house elves didn't have such a hard time. Our hands brushed a few times, and it sent tingles up my arms. I could barely breathe.

"Let's go eat!" James cheered, taking my hand. I felt butterflies erupt in my stomach. Right before we left the room, realization hit. I gently pulled my hand from his.

"What's wrong?!" He asked, slightly panicky, trying to read me. I avoided eye contact, because I didn't want to see the possible hurt.

"I don't do friends with benefits, James." I whispered. I peeked a look, and he wasn't even looking at me. He had a distant expression on his face, and I tried not to question it. He finally looked me in the eyes and nodded.

"Ok." He said. Then he began walking away, down to the stairs.

"Hey!" I called after him, jogging to catch up. "Look, James, we can still be friends, right? I really like you!" I told him, almost pleadingly. I wasn't about to let him slip out of my grasp. Especially because I was extremely aware of the growing James Harry Potter fan club, and I didn't want one of the members to take my place.

I may be a loser, but losers don't lose without a fight.

"No, it's fine Lils! Let's go eat, yeah?" He asked, starting down the stairs. I was standing at the top watching him attempt to go down backwards. I laughed when he almost tripped.