Keith had officially skipped class for the day- a thing I wouldn't do in a million years even though I'm probably smart enough to skip out on a few lessons before actually falling behind. Being a vampire, for some odd reason, means having better cognition and overall intelligence. I'm pretty sure Keith isn't a vampire by any means since a middle schooler probably knows more about biology than him.

"Where ya going before your next class?" Tara asked as I held the door open for her to exit the classroom.

"I don't know." I said. I hadn't actually considered where I was going after biology so her question caught me off guard a little. Miles nor the other guys hadn't made an plans of where to eat so I assumed it was one of those "every man for himself" days".

"Well, we have half an hour to kill. There's a good pizzeria a few blocks from here that I'm meeting some of my friends at. Wanna come?"

I opened my mouth to answer and quickly shut it when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I held up my index finger to Tara for her to give me a minute to answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Jesse!" I sighed and my mouth stretched into a smile.

"Hey, mom." I replied, glaring at Tara as she scoffed at me.

"How's college? How's NYU? How's Alex?" She was extremely bubbly- more than she usually is.

"Good, good, and still crazy."

"I miss you so much and it's only been a week. I told you to call me the end of last week but you never did. I was going to call you but I was worried I would catch you at a bad time."

"Oh, sorry about that. I guess I've been a little busy getting accustomed to everything."

I starting walking with the phone held to my ear and nodded for Tara to follow me down the hallway.

"It's alright. I just wanted to know if everything is going well. So tell me, have you made any new friends? You were such a loner in high school"

I groaned. "Mom, I wasn't a loner. I had Alex as a friend. And to answer your question, yes, I have made quite a few friends."

She squealed like a little girl. "I'm so happy for you- broadening your horizons." Her voice quieted. "Have you seen any cute boys?"

I fought back an embarrassed smile. I glanced at Tara hoping she hadn't seen my reaction, even though she wouldn't know the context of the situation. She was busy looking out through the windows of the building as we walked.

"Yea..." I said in defeated. "I've seen some throughout campus while walking to my classes."

"Ooh." I could almost see that smile that was probably plastered on her face at that moment. "Whatever happened to Blake. You never talk about him anymore."

Why the hell did she bring up Blake? Didn't Alex poof her memory of him away?

"Who?" I asked, faking that I didn't know who she was talking about. I was so shocked that I stopped walking. Tara stopped as well, looking at me questioningly.

"Blake. Your boyfriend, sweetie. That blonde-"

"Uh. Kssshhh." I said, faking the classic bad connection sound. "Mom- kssssh- think you're breakin- kssssshhh- up."