Chapter 25: Something that's worth more than all this gold

Dakota's POV:

"I have to tell Thorin." I said and got off the table. Dwalin grabbed my arm. "First get some rest." He said. I freed my arm from his grip. "No, Thorin has a right to know! He's the father!" I exclaimed. "Dakota, tell him tomorrow. Rest now, you need it." Balin said agreeing with his brother. I shook my head heavily. "Kota, you're worrying too much. Calm down and tell Thorin tomorrow." Fili tried but I continued shaking my head and I walked backwards. "I have to tell him." I said softly with my hands on my bump. Kili quickly closed the door and stopped me. "Please Kota, sleep. You and your baby need it." He said softly. I looked at Kili and then at the others. "Okay." I said so soft only Kili could hear me. "Alright, I'll bring you to your bed." He said and walked me to the room where everyone sleeps. I laid down on my bedroll. "Sleep well." Kili said and left the room.

**********

The next morning I woke up and got out of bed. I reached the entrance and saw all the dwarves standing on the wall. I tried to climb the small stairs and stood next to Fili and Kili. In Dale a huge army of elves had gathered. "What are they doing here?" I asked but Fili and Kili shrugged. The sound of hooves neared and around the corner Bard appeared on a white horse. "Hail, Thorin son of Thrain! We are glad to find you alive beyond hope." Bard said. "Why do you come to the gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin asked. "Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hold?" Bard asked. "Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed." Thorin replied. "My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?" Bard asked. Thorin gave him and nod and walked down the stairs. Bard dismounted his horse and walked towards the gate. 

We all got off the wall and looked at Thorin. Bard appeared in front of a hole the dwarves had made for communication with the outside world. "I am listening." Thorin said not looking at Bard. "On behalf of the people of Lake-Town, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure, so that they might rebuild their lives." Bard began. "I will not treat with any man while and armed host lies before my door." Thorin said finally looking at Bard. "That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms." Bard threatened. "And your threats do not sway me." Thorin replied. "What of your conscience? Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help. And in return you brought upon them only ruin and death." "When did the men of Lake-Town come to our aid but for the promise of rich reward?" "A bargain was struck!" Bard shouted. "A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food, to ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the dragon slayer why should I honor such terms?" Thorin asked getting angrier. "Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Bard asked. Thorin retreated and leaned against the stone wall. He looked at each and every one of us lingering for a second when his eyes met mine. "Be gone! Ere our arrows fly!" Thorin shouted at Bard. In frustration Bard punched the wall. He walked away and rode off on his horse. We climbed back on the gate and watched Bard ride away.

"What are you doing? You cannot go to war." Bilbo said. "This does not concern you." Thorin said to him. "Excuse me, but in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of elves out there. Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. W-we are in fact, outnumbered." Bilbo said. "Not for much longer." Thorin replied. "What does that mean?" Bilbo asked. "It means, Master Baggins you should never underestimate dwarves." Thorin said and started walking down the stairs. "We have reclaimed Erebor. Now we defend it." Thorin said resumed his path down the stairs. I looked at Balin worriedly. "I can try to talk to him." I whispered. "You think that will help?" he asked. I shook my head. "No not really but I have to try, besides I still have to tell him." I said and Balin nodded.