Change In Plans

Months have passed and I still could not tell Kevin about my decision I made without him. For all he knew, we were still going off together and going with the original plans. I didn't have it in me to break his heart. But here we are, standing in our caps and gowns, graduating high school. My time is up, and I need to tell him.

Our ceremony was already over and my parents actually took the day off for their busy schedule to be there. At this said moment, my mother was telling Kevin and I to get closer while she took probably hundreds of pictures. And my father was waiting as patiently as he could while my mother directed Kevin and I to pose.

"Eddward, straighten up. Kevin, don't be afraid to put your arm around him."

"Mother, we're in a public setting."

"No one is going to notice! I waited far too long for my young Eddward to come home with a partner. Now that you have Kevin, I need pictures!"

My eyes rolled, pushing out a heavy sigh from my chest. "Mother."

Kevin chuckled at me. "At least she approves babe."

Even though Kevin chuckled, I could still hear some sadness in his voice. Ever since that one night, Kevin and his father had a hard time staying on good terms. Even today, Kevin's father did not come to see his sons graduation. Even though my mother was now like Kevin's mother hen, and my father welcomed Kevin into our house whenever he needed a place to stay. I knew he still wishing he could only get the same love and support from his own father.

Soft lips touched my cheek as I heard my mother gasp.

"There we go! Beautiful couple photo!"

My face became bright red as Kevin's lips warmed up one small spot on me. "K-Kevin! What on earth are you doing!? What if someone sees!?"

"We're graduated now. Let them! We're going to be moving in with each other in less than a month anyway. Who cares what they think?"

There it was. Another opportunity to break his heart and tell him I wasn't going with him. But again, I couldn't bring myself to say such words. How awful would it be to wait until the day he leaves to tell him I'm not going?

Pretty awful.

"Eddward! Stop daydreaming, it's ruining these pictures!"

"Sorry mother."

I could tell my fathers patients was running just as short with my mother as mine.

"Hunny, the boy have had enough with the pictures. We have to go to work or we'll be late."

"It's not every day my only child graduates high school."

My father rolled his eyes. He knew when to pick his battles with my strong minded mother. This was a battle not to be fought, even though my mother knew he was right; she put the camera away and took out her wallet, handing me some money.

"I apologize that we ca not stay to celebrate tonight with you Eddward. Please treat yourselves to anything you want tonight. Your father and I will be home our normal time."

"Thank you mother, father."

We exchanged our hugs, kisses and goodbyes. My parents went on their way to work, while Kevin and I went on our way to my house. On the walk home, I did not say much, I shamefully did not even listen much once Kevin started talking about our future together again. My chest was aching and my head spinning while thinking of a million ways to break the news to him. Right here? After we eat? Whiles he's zoned himself into his violent video games? After sex so he's in a good mood?