Acquainted Strangers

Start from the beginning

As if the rest of it should be abandoned at this point of time.

Victoria scouted above the trees, keeping watch for any sign of movement whilst her Winged stood his ground—

His eyes snapped open.

There had been a sound that caught his attention; rousing it from caged slumber to raise a curious head.

He had heard a voice and it was speaking in hushed tones as if it was the wind carrying a secret in its whisper—

And Luka couldn't disagree.

For it was a secret indeed—

But he heard it.

He had heard someone's thoughts, and they piqued his interest very much.

The speed at which he called upon Victoria's aid to take on the form of his Avian proved that an understatement, however. He soared above the trees that passed in a blur—towards the direction of the voice, seeking its precious owner.

Luka wasn't just interested—

He was...enthralled;

For he had heard a voice say:

"—doesn't know that I'm the Joker."

It was ironic; and that made the golden eagle want to smile.

For someone did know—

And that was him.

____________________________

The eagle's call sounded like it was a hallucination—as if Io was in a dream and something had come to wake him from it.

Was this a nightmare? He wondered, but didn't get to an answer. His mind was blank; blank from the lack of oxygen that couldn't seem to reach him brain.

And so the disoriented sparrow was slightly pleased, but also slightly confused when he heard a dull 'thump' coming from behind—puzzled as to why he could think once again.

This was before he realized he could breathe; and also before a shadow stepped into his field of vision.

Io couldn't see a thing.

He couldn't tell what the shadow was; whether it was human or something curious from the Box itself.

The shadow rose above his fallen frame, a dark blur as he tried to sit up. His head spun.

The boy reached for his charm, confirming that it was still there with a relieved sigh before groping around for his bag.

He swallowed, throat parched and burning as though it was the desert itself.