One Unforgettable Night

Chapter 1

I looked up from where I was sitting and smiled. It wasn't like I wasn't having fun at Cathy's wedding reception. It was just that as I looked around I felt out of place. There were werewolf couples everywhere dancing, laughing, kissing and even some with kids having a great time and I was the black sheep of the group.

At the age of 27 I still haven't found my mate. At first maybe I thought something was wrong with me when I woke up on my 21st birthday and I didn't find him, but my friends said that maybe he wasn't in our pack and not to worry about it.

What really freaked me out was every year there's a gathering of wolfs who are unmated and go in search of their mates from different packs. When I first attended I didn't find him. After the 5th try I just decided I was going to be alone and I accepted that, but when we all come together and celebrate a birth or an engagement that's when it hits me and I feel depressed. But I mastered the fake smile everything is okay look and my friends don't really notice.

I looked up to see Beth wobble over to our table. Her hand was resting on her 7 month old baby bump. She winced and rubbed it "Are you okay?" I asked

Beth's crystal eyes look up and met mine. "Yeah, I think I overdid it on the dance floor with Pete." I nodded my head as if I understood what she was talking about. Just then her Pete her mate came over and put his hands on her shoulders and started to massage them.

"How are you holding up Babe?" She looked up and smiled at him "I think I overdid it out there, but I just need a break." Pete pouted and nodded his head. "Wait Pete why don't you dance with Nicole. She's been sitting here the whole night." He looked up to meet my face and stuck his hand out.

"Come on Nicole I promise I won't tire you out like Beth." I shrugged and put my hand in his and he led me to the middle of the dance floor. We danced like we were middle school kids at our homecoming dance. Our bodies were never touching due to the fact that I didn't want to give Beth the wrong impression and so people didn't start talking and making up rumors.

When Cha Cha Slide comes on everyone goes wild. We all line up in 3 rows of people and start dancing to the song. Just when I was getting the hang of the song Cathy grabs the mic "Okay SINGLE LADIES!! Please line up in the middle of the dance floor, because I'm about to throw my bouquet. And let me say this now I wish whoever catches it will get married soon, because who doesn't like wedding. YAAYY."

I started walking away from the dance floor towards my designated table when someone grabs my arm and stops me. I turned around and looked at Cathy. "Where do you think you're going young lady? I said single ladies and your one of them sexy mama." She smiled and I laughed. Cathy and I have been best friends since middle school when she transferred schools and packs, because he dad got a job promotion here.

"Cathy the only sexy mama here is you." I giggle "but I was about to go to the bathroom" she shook her head and laughed.

"Nu- uh Nikki, I wanted you to meet one of Matt friends. He's from Italy and came all the way to little old Virginia for our wedding. He seems like a nice guy and hey he's single" she winks at me and I groan.

"Cathy, why do you insist on introducing me to single men all the time?"

She give me the a-duh look "Nikki, your single and young. If they aren't you mate then at least sleep with them and move on. Your missing out Hun and I know that vibrator of your isn't the same as the real thing" She slaps my ass and I gasp.

"CATHYYY..." I blush at what she says and hope to god no one heard what she said. She just stands there and laughs and pulls me toward the middle of the floor. And she leaves me there with a group of younger girls who are all squealing like little girls about to meet Justin Bieber. I shake my head and hope she can just throw the damn thing so I can go back to my little round table in the back.