3) Okay, You Caught Me

Ft. Lily Potter

Lily's POV
Ron and I hurriedly walk along the corridor to our first class of the year; DADA. "He was sweating?" I asked.

He nodded. "He kept gripping his hands like it was hurting him and he pushed the bed covers off and--"

"Ron!" He immediately stopped babbling. "Was it just a nightmare? Or a une of his 'dreams'?"

"I think it was one of his 'dreams'." He nodded, holding the door open for me as we walked in.

"Late? Is this going to be a routine thing with you, Miss Potter and Mr Weasley?"

Everyone turned to look at us. "Well, we weren't hooking up behind the gargoyle, if that's what you're insinuating?"

There were a few chuckles from the class, earning a disapproving look from Toad, which I ignored and took my usual seat beside Em. She sent me a small smile, glancing over her shoulder. "Draco looks a bit put out by that comment." She whispered.

"Does he?" I shrugged off her comment, listening into the girly voice of the professor.

Umbridge turned, in her fluffy pink cardigan and pink woollen dress, towards the blackboard, waving her wand and words appeared. "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations or O.W.L.s. Study hard and you will be rewarded, fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

The books on the table behind her rose into the air, one sitting in front of us. She gave that little giggle and Em and I shifted uncomfortably. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know that from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?" Hermione had her hand up.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" She asked. I flicked through the worn book which was illustrated and all. This was for five-year-olds!

"Using spells?" Umbridge laughed. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"Err, I can think of une reason." I looked at her like that bloody big black bow on her head were a fly. "Actually I can think of a few, but maybe because we're witches and wizards. We're magical, you know?"

Umbridge gave me a grim smile. "But you'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"What's the point in that. We won't be using defensive spells in a 'secure, risk-free' environment." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Draco stare at me incredulously, and automatically tensed.

"Students will raise their hands in my class."

I lazily flung my hand into the air, then ceremoniously put it down again. "I've raised my hand, now I can talk like I'm in fucking first year."

Harry gaped at me from across the aisle, in fact, a few people were watching me like I had two heads. I mean, it's not like I swear a lot and never at a teacher, but it...kinda felt good. "Watch your language, Miss Potter! Detention."

"Lily!" Emma hissed beside me, her eyes wide and anxious.

"There's really no use Toad." I tried out my new nickname. "I've never turned up for a single detention since the day I got here."