Chapter 16

Peeta's pov: 12 years old.

Run. That's the thing my mind is screaming for me to do, as the dog mutts comes closer and closer. I run as fast as I can into the big forest, knowing that it's my best chance of getting away from them.

But I was wrong. So very wrong.

One of the mutts knocks me to the ground and is just seconds from killing me, when a mockingjay suddenly flys onto its head and starts to pecking out the mutts eyes with its beak. The dog mutt whimper and cries out, as the blood flows from its eyes. I gets up on my feet again and runs fauther into the forest, when a high pitched scream fills the air.

"PEETA!"

I stop up. I know that voice all too well, all though I haven't heard it in 5 years.

"KATNISS! KATNISS WHERE ARE YOU!?" I call out. She screams my name again and fear starts to take over my body. I run as fast as lightning toward her voice, but then I hear another scream, this time a male voice.

"PEETA! PEETA, HELP ME!"

"DAD!" His scream comes from the other side of the woods. Away from Katniss' voice. I need to choose between them! I've already seen my dad die once, and it was horrible and I was frightened half to death, but if I choose him, I'll have no chance to save him, just like I didn't had it last time. But maybe, just maybe, I have a small chance to save my best friend from her soon to be, death. I really have no idea how to save her, but my feet is already bringing me closer to where, I supost Katniss is. The screams are getting louder and louder and within a few seconds, I find myself standing in a beautiful grassy, flowers-filled meadow. But it's not just a random meadow. It's mine and Katniss' meadow. I look anxiously around, but Katniss is nowhere to be seen. Where is she?

"Peeta!" Her voice comes from behind me, so I turn around. There she stands, under the big willow tree, looking more beautiful than ever. A smile forms on my face. I have really missed her like crazy. Soon, we are both running toward each other, like we always did when we were younger. Her smile is mirroring my own, as she jumps into my arms. When we let go, after a while, a white blury figure appears from behind the trees. I can't see who or what it is, but I have a feeling that I deep down know this mysterious thing. I hold Katniss desperately tight in my arms, afraid that if I let go, she would turn into dust and I'll never ever see her again. A terrible sweet smell hits the air, which makes me wanna gag, but it's a familiar smell.

I don't have time to think more about it, when a bunch of mutts encircles us and Katniss gets pushed away from my side. I try to get to her, but it's to late. A mutt has already torn her apart in big pieces and blood is flowing everywhere on the grass. A last scream escapes her mouth and right in this moment, I know that she's forever gone. I stand completely still as tears rolls down my face. The mutt who killed Katniss, growls and looks at me with hate in it's clear blue eyes. The eyes of my own father. H-he's the mutt! Wet blood is dripping from it's teeth-showing mouth and it gets itself ready to attack me. I scream as it attacks and bits me in my throat. I hear a faint laugher before my whole world goes black.

I jolt awake with a shock. Cold sweat starts to drip off of me, as I sits myself upward on my small bed. My slightly oversized t-shirt, one of Finnicks old ones cause I outgrow my own clothes, has sticky stuck to my body and it's making me feel more dirty than I already am. I'm breathing heavily, so I use a moment to take long deep breathes, but it's like my heart keeps speeding more up than down. I take a brief look over to the other side of of our wooden house, to see Finnick and Gale sleeping soundly on their beds without any care in the world. I thank god that I didn't woke them up with my screams and trashing around, because I'm really not in the mood for their pity. I run a hand through my messy hair and quickly decides that I need some fresh air. I very slowly gets out of my bed and tiptoe toward the door. I grab a jacked, a pair of over-used, hollowed shoes, we always sleep in our clothes at this time of the year, which means I already have pants on. I put my shoes on my feet, double-knot the shoelaces, take one of our hunting knifes just in case I meet a threatening animal, and walks carefully out of the door.