Chapter 4

I stood up and drew my pistol motioning for the captain to follow me. We went around behind the building and there were two guys crouched with their backs to us.
We snuck up behind them and spun them around with guns pointed to their heads. "What are you kids doing?" I asked seeing their scared faces.
"We were just passing through, didn't know it was inhabited." The older boy said and I nodded to my captain.
"Ok captain let's bring them around front and let them know just whose land they're trespassing on." I said and he nodded with a smile. We took the boys around to the front of the building and as soon as the rest of the team saw us they drew their weapons aimed at the boys.
"At ease gentlemen, they're just kids." I said and they put their weapons away. "Everyone head inside we're going to show these two who they're dealing with." I said and once the boys heard that they went pale. "Relax we're not going to kill you, if we were you would already be dead." I said and they relaxed a little bit.
When we got inside the boys looked mesmerized by the decorations of the building. "You're military?" The youngest asked. "More like SEALS. Now who are your parents?" I asked and the younger one stood in attention, he has some respect.
"My dad was a Marine." He said and I nodded. "What happened to him and what was his name?" I asked him and he told me. "He was killed by a sniper and his name was Josh Hamilton." He said and I recognized the name.
"He was a good man, we fought together and I was there the day he died." I said and the Hamilton boy looked at me. "I remember you, you're the one who gave the flag to mom." He said and I nodded.
"Why did you go to trespassing when your father didn't raise you that way?" I asked because I know he was raised better and he hung his head. "Mom's not doing too great and I just needed to get away for a while." He said.
I nodded and told the guys to go on and start training and I would join them in a second. "Okay now I'm going to train with the guys and then I'm going to take you to your mom and I'll see what I can do to help." I said and he nodded.
I went to join the others while the two kids sat in the chairs with my wife and daughter and we trained. Then I saw the Hamilton boy coming over to me and so I finished climbing the wall and stopped for a second.
"Can I train with you guys? I've been thinking about joining the military but I'm not sure which branch to go for." He said and I nodded. "Sure you can start at the first of the course and go as far as you can. Take five guys, we're going to see what he's got!" I shouted to the team and they stopped what they were doing and we got to the sidelines.
"Ok go!" I shouted and he started so I started my stopwatch. "He wanted to train with us so I told him to run the course so we could see his abilities, he was thinking of joining the military." I explained to the guys and they nodded.
He finished the course and I stopped the timer. He made it through in five and a half minutes.
"Impressive, you have the physical ability to get in the Marines or SEALS." I said as he came over to me. "Dad trained me a lot and I kept in shape and kept on training with his tactics even after he was killed, it makes me feel closer to him." He said and I nodded.
"Alright let's continue training for about five more minutes and we can go take you to your mom." I said and he nodded. We trained with Sam, I just remembered his name because his dad used to talk about him all the time, for five more minutes and when we were through I called him over.
"Sam, time to go and bring your friend. Captain you can ride with us since you knew Josh too." I said and he nodded. We got outside and Sarah asked me to give her a ride again so I took my shirt of using it to wipe the sweat from my back and chest and gave her a ride.
"Is that uncle Josh's kid?" She asked and I nodded my head. "Yeah that's Sam, his only son." I said and she waved at Sam and he waved back.
We got up to the house and I set Sarah back on the ground and she ran inside with Georgia. "Get in the jeep and we'll be there in a second." I told the Sam and the other boy whose name I learned is Jack as I slipped my shirt back on.
"Martin, I need you and the rest of the guys to make sure nothing happens to the girls." I said and they nodded. "Yes sir!" They all shouted together.
I got in the driver's seat while Captain Johnson sat in the passenger seat ready for anything.
"Where do you live Jack?" I asked and he told me his address and since I know the road I drove to his house with no trouble. "Hey, don't get into anymore trouble." I said as he got out and he nodded.
"Your turn Sam, where do you live? Is it the same place you lived when your dad was alive?" He said it was and I took him home. "So I saw your scars, what happened?" He asked and I told him.
"They're from a few weeks ago when I was captured in the desert, it comes with the job, the price that's paid for protecting our country." I said and he nodded. We drove up to the house and we all got out. I stepped up to the door and knocked.
We waited for a minute when a woman answered. "Yes?" He asked. "Mrs. Hamilton?" I asked and she said yes. I motioned for Sam to get in front of me and she crushed him in a hug. "Where have you been?" She asked him and he told her.
"These men knew dad." He said and she looked at us. "Yes ma'am, I was there the day he died, he was a great man." I told her and she motioned us inside.
"How have you been Mrs. Hamilton?" I asked and she looked at me with sad eyes. "I haven't been too great, I keep seeing his death even though I didn't see it. I keep thinking he suffered and that's what bothers me." She said and I understood.
"He didn't suffer, he died almost instantly and told me one thing before he died. He wanted me to tell you and Sam that he loved you both and he was proud of you both. He wanted you to move on and find love somewhere else, it's what I would want my wife to do if something ever happened to me." I said and she nodded her head and managed a smile.
"Thank you for giving me closure, I'm glad he didn't suffer but I will always miss him, maybe now I can sleep at night without those nightmares." She said and I nodded.
As I got up with my captain to leave I looked to Sam. "And Sam? One more thing, follow your dreams but stay out of trouble." I said and turned to leave.
"Hey, sir?" Sam asked stopping before I got out the door.
"Would you mind if I came to train some more Thursday?" He asked and I nodded. "Sure, but be really careful, I have some people after me for some reason and that's why I'm staying on that property." I said and he nodded.
"Looks like we might have a new recruit soon." I said once we left the house and the captain nodded with a smile.
"You know you might have saved that woman's life with what you said in there, I noticed she had lost her will to live." He said and I nodded.
When we got back to the safe house it was already dark out so I went up to bed while Lt. Martin and Lt. Hart pulled guard duty for the night. When I got to the master bedroom Georgia was already there asleep so I got in beside her and she snuggled up to me and I fell asleep with my family's safety on my mind.