Chapter 16 (part 2)

“So what good are you?” a voice asked and I turned my head slightly. The man named Kyran was the one who had asked it. Damn he was good, I hadn’t noticed him come into the room.

I smirked. “You ask that after having fought me?”

“You’re just a killer then.” he said in a disgusted tone. My jaw flexed at that and I glared at him.

“No. I’m different from them, I would never want to kill someone.”

“You’re not denying that you haven’t.”

“And you’ve never killed anyone before?” I demanded, furious at his judging me.

Kyran’s eyes narrowed. “Your kind doesn’t count.”

“Well then I’ve never killed anyone either.” I snorted. “And what the hell do you mean by “my kind’. You think he’s not a person?” I demanded, pointing my finger at Tom.

“When I say ‘your kind’ I mean everyone on the Revolution’s side.” he clarified for me, looking just as pissed as I felt.

I laughed bitterly. “Well if that’s your classification than I still haven’t killed a ‘person’.” Kyran looked at me dubiously and I could tell he thought I was lying. I hissed in frustration and continued with my raging. “You know what asshole, I don’t know what your deal, is but there are some things that are obviously beyond your mental comprehension so let me spell it out for you. Not only evil people get sucked into evil things. Some of us didn’t have a fucking choice. So don’t stand there and judge me because the “right” side found you first.”

When I finished my angry ramblings I realized that everyone was now in the room with us, looking at me in shock. I let my face turn hard as I looked at Kyran, daring him to contradict me. His face had an identical expression as he glared back, both of us refusing to look away first.

“Ky, leave it be.” Tom finally murmured.

Kyran turned to him furiously. “Why did we bring her here Tom? What possible use is she to us?”

“I can think of a couple of ways to keep her dead...” Connor said thoughtfully.

“Go ahead and try it. I hope it’s a new way though, I’m getting a bit bored of gunshot wounds and poison.”

“She’s crazy.” the british woman said.

“Honey when you’ve been killed and brought back to life as many times as I have then what’s one more time?”

Tom sighed. “Kyran, Connor, Missy, I was hoping you’d all be a little more cooperative.”

“Cooperative?!” Kyran yelled. “Jesus, Tom, you brought a member of the goddamn Revolution into our house!”

“I am not part of the Revolution!” I yelled at him. “I just got the hell away from them!”

Logan placed a hand on Kyran’s shoulder, stopping him from taking a step closer to me. He looked like he would love to hit me. “Ky, have you forgotten Tom’s power? He would know if she was lying or a danger to us.”

Kyran took a deep breath and looked over at Tom, but his gaze shifted to something behind Tom and I looked over to see a familiar face in the doorway looking at me fearfully.

“What the hell is going on? Why is she here?”

Tom’s eyes widened and he turned around quickly. “Diana calm down.”

“Hey Ms. Glass!” I said cheerfully. Tom shot me a look that clearly said I wasn’t helping and I shrugged.

“Tom what the hell is she doing here? She’s a member of the-”

“Revolution. Yeah, I know but it wasn’t by choice.”

“They tried to kill me! And she just stood by and watched! She tricked me!”

I felt the guilt immediately but hid it. I might not be able to fool Tom but I sure as hell wasn’t going to show weakness in front of any of the others, especially that Kyran. “Don’t take it personally. If it helps any, you were my favorite teacher!” 

“You little bitch!”

“Diana stop!” Tom tried to control her but the woman was too far gone.

“Where’s Alex or Zach or whatever the hell is name is? Weren’t you his little pet?”

The pain and anger at those words was instantaneous and I didn’t even realize I had taken a few steps in her direction, my hands clenched in fists, until I felt arms pinning me down, immobilizing me. I struggled against the arms before looking up and seeing Kyran’s hard eyes. That snapped me out of it and I displaced his hands quickly using a move Ash taught me. He looked like he was going to jump on me again but I just took a step away from Ms. Glass or Diana or whatever her name was. 

“I’m not really that person.” I said, my voice sounded muted. But it was true, I had only been obedient so that I could get to this point, to be free.

“What kind of person are you then? A traitor? Liar?” Diana asked with a vicious look on her face.

“I’m-” I broke off as my eyes met Evan’s. I was a worried older sister who wanted to go make sure Ava was safe. Who wanted to go home and tell her that I loved her and would protect her from this mess I had gotten her involved in.

“You can’t, Elaine.” Tom’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts and my head snapped towards him.

“Why not? Am I a prisoner here like I was there?”

“Andy would find you and you would be no help to her.”

“He can’t find us here?”

“I won’t let him.” Janet suddenly spoke up. “I block his talent, I’m a shield.”

“You can block him seeing whatever gene in us he identifies?” I asked and Janet nodded.

“Sure, let’s just tell the little Revolution girl all our secrets.” Conner said angrily, but everyone ignored him.

“Can I at least make sure she’s safe?” I asked Tom. I was aware of everyone in the room watching our exchange curiously but I tuned them out.

“You can’t go, I have no doubt that they have someone watching them. They know that’s where you’ll want to go first.”

Ash said they wouldn’t hurt my family if I ran. Was she right?

“Most likely.” Tom answered my unspoken question. “She was smart, I think she was right.” He must’ve realized how frustrated and depressed I was. “I’ll send Kyran to check on them.”

I glanced over at Kyran who was now giving Tom a suspicious look. I felt like I could trust Tom and if he trusted Kyran then I was fine with his decision.

“Good.” Tom nodded in approval.

“I still don’t like him, though.”

Kyran snorted and I think he realized I was talking about him because he muttered, “Feelings mutual.”

“All right, that’s enough drama for tonight!” Tom announced, rubbing his hands together. “Good night everyone! Janet why don’t you show Elaine to a room. And Ky, stay for a moment. I need to talk to you.”

Janet pulled me out of the room and up the stairs, leading me to one of the bedrooms.

“You can stay here, dear.”

“Thank you.” I nodded to her appreciatively and she smiled and patted my hand before leaving. I walked over to the bed and flopped down on it. I was asleep before I could pull the covers over me or take off my shoes.