Chapter 24: The End

a beeping sound, footsteps pacing back and forwards, the touch of a hand against a forehead, the motionless body lying in the bed.
the tubes leading in and out of the victim, the officers asking questions of the friends, the friends asking questions of the doctors, the doctors asking questions of themselves.

it wasn't a case of live or die, for a while it was a case of how long to prolong the dying.

two to the chest puncturing vital organs, a blow to the back of the head, possible inhalation of exhaust fumes.

the five people who came to see him, the one that never left. the shouts of anguish, the cries of desperation, the quiet prayers in the corner.

a singer, a hairdresser, a stripper, a restaurant owner, and a sound engineer walk into a hospital - the start of a bad joke, but the reality of the situation.

George woke up to see a bright light above him. It blinded him, but he slowly got used to it. A beeping sound came into his ears, slowly getting louder as his ears adjusted. He also heard footsteps from his feet, and suddenly he felt a hand brush against his forehead. He blinked rapidly, clearing the sleep from his eyes, before looking in the direction of the hand.
"Hey," Danny smiled, before wildly gesturing with his other hand for someone to come over, "he's awake!"
There was a stampede of footsteps as Jorel, Dylan, and Matt all leapt up and gathered around George, shoving a young doctor out of the way.
"Hey, amigo," Dylan purred, "how're you feeling?"
"I'm not quite sure." George croaked, glancing from person to person, his eyes beginning to water.
"We thought we'd lost you for a while there," Jorel told him, "you didn't look like you were coming back."
Matt sniffed, resting a head on Dylan's shoulder.
"Well," the doctor said, pushing her way towards the machines, "his vitals are good, and as he's awake we can safely say there's no permanent damage to his heart or brain," she removed the tubes from his nose, and he gasped slightly, before breathing on his own, "his breathing seems normal, once we've sorted out everything, he should be good to go. Obviously no strenuous activities or-"
"Where's Jordon?" George said, cutting her off. She shook her head and pulled Jorel to one side to explain what had to happen.
"Hang on a second." Danny said, before moving to a spot out of George's field of vision. He came back, with Jordon trailing behind him, rubbing his eyes. His face lit up into a smile, and he rushed forwards and gave him a tight hug.
"I thought I'd lost you." Jordon sobbed.
"I thought I'd lost you too." George whimpered, gripping his partner tightly.
The other boys drifted away slightly, giving the two lovers some room.
"What makes you say that?" Jordon asked, seeming genuinely confused.
"Well, what Aron said, what I said, the fact you never came back to the table, when you were seen with Aron and the Angels," George sobbed, "all of that."
"Oh baby," Jordon cooed, "I just needed time to cool off, I understand that the past is the past, and I may come off a little," he paused to think of the right word, "asshole-ish," George smiled, "on TV, but I'm glad I've managed to prove myself to you. As for not coming back, I got stolen away by the press to go to some backstage thing, I got out as early as possible but then I ran into Aron," he sighed, "he tried asking me back out, and I declined, and told him that if he ever came near me or you again that I'd have the Angels make sure he couldn't."
George sobbed, this time out of happiness, but also anger at himself.
"I'm so glad I still have you." George whined, grabbing his boyfriend tightly.
"I'm so glad I have you too," Jordon murmured, "I realise now might not be the best time, but have you thought about living with me? I'd be able to take proper care of you if you did."
"But, Jorel." George murmured.
Jorel stepped forwards and shook his head.
"I'm moving in with Vanessa, I was gonna tell you when you got home." Jorel revealed happily.
"Well in that case," George grinned widely at Jordon, "I'd love to move in."
Jordon wrapped his arms around the older man again.
"Thank you." Jordon whispered.
Jordon pulled away, and the other men crowded again.
"How did I get here anyway?" George asked.
"A girl brought you in." Danny told him.
As he was saying this, Mara burst through the doors, followed by Bella.
"How is he?" Mara shouted, pushing between Dylan and Matt, and upon seeing George awake, rushed forwards and hugged her employer.
"This girl?" George asked once she'd removed herself.
"Yeah that girl." Danny agreed.
"The car started driving away and I realised that you needed a ride home," Mara explained shyly, "so I told the driver to turn back and get you. When we got back to you, you were lying on the floor in a pool of blood. We called an ambulance and got you here as soon as we could."
"I figured you were in trouble when you didn't call me back after the show," Danny piped up, "so I called all the hospitals in the area looking for a George Ragan."
"Danny called all of us, and we all had to go to Jorel cuz he blocked all of our numbers." Matt whispered gently.
"I came here as soon as Bella told me what happened." Jordon revealed.
"He hasn't left either," Bella called, "Mara told me as soon as she saw me checking up on the store."
"The store!" George burst out.
"Mara and me have been taking good care of it," Bella assured him, "you've only been out for a few days."
George smiled, and sighed in relief. He looked at the collection of people around his bed, and realised that he wasn't alone, and he never would be.

TEN MONTHS LATER

A chill had settled over L.A., but inside George and Jordon's house, it was more than warm enough. The older man lay awake, waiting for his boyfriend to wake up. He looked around the room, now a mishmash of the professional white walls with vague art, and George's band posters and butterfly insignias. The room felt like his own, and curled up against his lover's chest, he'd never felt more at home in his life. He gently pecked Terrell's pec, and his eyes slowly fluttered open.
"Hey." The singer said groggily, kissing the older man.
"What dyou want for breakfast?" George asked, eager to start the day well.
"Pancakes would be great." Jordon said, allowing Ragan to leap out of bed and into the kitchen.

Once breakfast was eaten, and morning sex was done, George was dropped off at his store. Mara was already working behind the counter, and Bella was eagerly talking to a group of preppy girls about the latest One Direction album.
George flashed Mara a quick smile, before standing at his usual register.

A few hours passed, and business was slowed to a halt. Jordon entered the shop, and called George down to the country aisle.
"George," he began, "your love's a drug and I'm an addict-"
"Sounds like something Jorel would say." George interrupted, before smiling.
"And I wanna be hooked for the rest of my life," he got down on one knee and pulled out a small box, "George," he opened the box to reveal a diamond ring, "will you marry me?"
George stood in stunned silence before answering loudly.
"Yes."

              •-*•THE END•*-•

Thank you all for reading this fanfic :) I hope you've enjoyed it, as its my first
i may write another HU fanfic in the future, although I want to focus on my
own original story for a while

saying that, if you would be so kind as to take a look at my original story - Ruthless - I would be most grateful :)

thank you for sticking with this story right until the happy ending, ily all

KP out!