"Stop crying, Ava. I'll make sure it's painless."

He's words were meant to comfort me, but they only worsen my panic. So I sob harder. The more I plead for my life, the more he hushes me. The more I fight, the tighter he holds me in place. For the first time in a long time I realize that, no matter how much I try to convince him otherwise, he will never let me go. I realize how stupid my idea was. He never intended to change. He was and will always be Ian Lucas Hunt, the man I fear most.

"I love you too much..." He whispers in my ear. "And if I can't have you then he'll never have you either."

He's referring to Jared, but before I can respond I hear an ear shattering noise. The sound is explosive. It sounds like a bomb has gone off in my ears. My heavy breathing stills as I feel my body fall backwards. I close my eyes, waiting for my back to hit the floor but I'm held in place. My head is bent back while my body lays limply. Ian's arms are still wrapped tightly around my waist. As I succumb to darkness I can still hear him whisper to me:

'Forever and always, my Ava.'

And then it happens. My eyes are squinting but I can still see him press the gun to his head. A loud pop echoes across the room, bringing him down too. I try to hold onto my life but every time I close my eyes the pain goes away. All of the fear, shame, guilt, and painful memories of Ian fade away, and within seconds, I've succumbed to eternal slumber.

#

Darkness isn't so bad when you've lost sight of the light. A person like Ian can dwell in evilness because that is all he has ever seen. That's all he's ever known.

I couldn't change him...no one could. I mean he couldn't even change himself. He wanted to be good. He needed me to help make him a good person. But I couldn't do that. No one could.

I never saw what he saw until now.

I never understood what he understood until now.

I had lost that sense. And now I see what people truly are. I see the monsters they truly are, but have yet revealed to the world. I realize this: no one will ever get close to me again because they only want one thing; to cause me harm.

I've finally come to realize that there is no good in people.

I used to have it. That sense of being good... that sense of seeing good in others.

I used to be the other girl. The one who used to be good. The one who saw good in everyone; in everything. I remember a time when I wasn't afraid of my thoughts, actions, and words. I used to believe that good things always happened to good people. But then I changed. I transformed into someone I didn't even recognize. The roots of my very being were pulled from me. And just like a tree in winter, my vibrant, colorful leaves shriveled up before eloquently falling to the cold ground. In the presence of danger I died.

#

Tears stream down my cheeks. I can feel them. My throat is tight. I can feel it closing in. Suddenly, I hear shouting. Lots and lots of shouting. Like a war of words are being exchanged between enemies. It's the kind of words and shouting that awakens you from a deep sleep. My arms are the first to move. Stiff, aching bones that feel like they haven't moved in centuries. I try to move my legs but quickly discover how impossible it is at this point. My first thought is: Where am I?

My mind begins to question what happened to me. The dark pit of my lids slowly open up to a dimly lit room. And like someone spreading a curtain, my eyes slowly open. Everything before me is blurry, the plain white walls, the dark figures standing at the foot of my bed, and even my own memory. I feel dazed.

"Oh my...Oh my God!" Someone exclaims. "She's...she's blinking!"

Once I woke up I was taken care of like a princess. My parents were the first to run to my bedside. I noticed the tears and droopy eyelids. The tiredness in their eyes and the gray, aging salt and pepper hair on their heads. As they spoke words of serenity and comfort to me all I could think about was that I had done this to them. I had caused all of this panic, stress, and worry.

They told me of what happened. About how I was in a car accident the night I drove from the hospital. I swerved to avoid being hit by a truck. Apparently, I lost control of the wheel and crashed into an embankment. I've been in a coma for eight months and have no memory of what happened before the wreck.

For the past few days, my parents have been showing me pictures of 'my son'. But I have no recollection of him. Every time I see the toddler's green eyes and sandy blonde hair, I stiffen in fear. He looks too much like Ian.

"He really wants to see his mommy," my mom presses. "Maybe we could bring him in and-"

"No!" I shout, only to realize how harsh it sounds. I can't adjust to this. Any of it. How is it that I can remember a dream from my coma, but can't remember my only son? I'm ashamed of myself.He can't see me like this. If he walks in here then he will only  hate me.

My mom whispers my name in a sympathetic tone. I don't look at her, for fear of what she'll really see me as. An evil, no good person. 

"I'm...I'm sorry, he just can't see me right now." I start to sob again, trying to remember his name. There has to be a way to get my memory back.

Frustration overtook me that night, followed by restlessness and a shitload of anxiety. I couldn't sleep for fear that Ian was going to kill me again. The same nightmare replayed in my mind all day and night. A vivid recollection of my parents, the gun, and so much blood. I tried to rid myself of it, but it bit into me like a venomous snake.

A.N. 

Unedited.

Next chapter will explain more. Soooo, did you guys see that coming?  This book is almost over. Who's excited? :p

Also, I'm really sorry for the delay. :( I'm on internship and still working weekends so I'm pretty busy. 

Thanks so much you guys for bringing me to 1k followers! I really appreciate it! ^-^ Remember, if you want a followback, dedication just let me know in the comments!