Chapter 31: The Quartet part 1

My eyes widen at the sight before me; my body stiffens as my puppet finally dematerializes into me to recharge. The witch walks up to me with a scrutinizing stare. What is she doing here!?

"You've grown so much, haven't you?" she calls out as she still walks. "How many years has it been since you were little?"

I turn my back to her with a scowl. "Twelve to thirteen years." Setting my sights on the castle, I hurry over lest I lose control because of her mere presence. She seems to catch up easily, though.

"Really, now? Have you learned anything here? What have they taught you?"

"Not to talk to strangers."

"I'm no stranger to you, Astral."

"You are as good as one."

Her silence tells me that I have a valid point. We walk in silence for most of the walk back; however, I know she wants tot tell me something. I just hope it isn't anything negative to set me off.

"I'm sorry," she sighs, making me stop in my tracks. I turn my head back to her as a sign for her to elaborate. "I guess having a half Number in one's house would frighten anyone, considering their reputation of killing people with their out-of-control powers, and I guess people have different ways of suppressing those powers. Someone told me that by keeping them submissive by forceful means, then they would be less likely to awaken. It worked for a while. My greatest mistake was being too harsh. That's all I needed to say. I suppose I'll leave you now for good."

I don't say or do anything for the longest time. "Crimson was more of a parent to me than you were, and Blackie was more of a brother. I hope you realize that." With that, I continue on my way. She no longer follows me, and I can hear the three of them leaving the Number Realm for good, I guess. I soon reach the palace, where my brother, Ichigo, Coal, and Crystal are barely entering by the time I arrive. I start flying up to them to catch up.

"You have a lot of explaining to do," I hear Blackie telling the trio. I take my usual place by my brother's side. Coal chuckles, and Crystal giggles.

"Well," she says with a small smile, "everything will be made clear to you very soon."

"Good!"

We enter the throne room, where foreigners normally state their business, but this is not where we stop. Puzzled by Blackie's odd choice, I touch his shoulder.

"Blackie, where are we going?" I whisper.

"Our chamber," he hisses back. "We will need somewhere comfortable to listen to this long tale." He chuckles somewhat. I grin a little and back away a small distance to give him space.

After a few levels up and many twists and turns, our chamber comes into view. I open the door to allow everyone else in while Blackie opens the balcony doors to let in fresh air. I then close the door so no one will hear this. For more secure measures, I place a bar over the door so nobody will enter and disturb us. Blackie and I settle on our bed, and the others sit in the various plush chairs so they do not have to stand.

"Now, explain how you know Crimson," Blackie states; I lay on my stomach, taking off my adornments and hugging my pillows.

Ichigo leans back and nods. "I will start it. We've actually known each other since we were little."

~.Flashback (3rd Person).~

Managing to outrun his elderly teacher, who was still an exceptionally skilled ninja and could still bring money to the house to sustain the both of them, little Sei shrieked in laughter as his teacher chased him around their small house. With the help of his three friends, he's played a prank on his snoozing sensei to wake him up.