Chapter 37- The Jock

Bắt đầu từ đầu

“I can name a few,” he mumbled.

“Okay, you two,” Jasper said breaking in, “Steven and I are going to drop off our stuff in the guest house. Are Lena and Martha here?”

“They’re out shopping for dog food, and other stuff,” Alec said.

“Oh yeah…I forgot about the dog,” Jasper said shaking his head.

“I got it for her,” I jumped in, realizing I sound like a clingy idiot, like somehow getting her a dog was going to make this guy back off.

“Yeah, I know,” Alec replied matter-of-factly.

“Come on, Steven. Let’s get our stuff from the car.”

Jasper started walking towards the door and I followed. As the door closed behind us I turned to Jasper and exclaimed, “What is his fucking problem?”

“He and Lena were together for a couple of years in high school. She broke it off, because the whole long distance thing wasn’t working. She’s moved on, he hasn’t and he probably sees it as a chance to be with her now that she’s moved to Georgia and he’s here too,” Jasper explained.

Great. This is going to be interesting.

We got our bags out of the car and walked around to the fence. Jasper opened it and my jaw dropped as I saw the guest house. It was like the size of my house back home, but maybe just a bit smaller. Next to it was a swimming pool equipped with a diving board, and a hot tub. I shook my head; this was too good to be true. We walked to the front porch of the guest house, where Jasper lifted up a potted plant and grabbed a key from underneath it. He unlocked and opened up the door, stepping inside.

Jasper dropped his bag and sighed, “There’s a room down here and two upstairs. Take your pick!”

“This is insane,” I said bewildered, looking around the house.

“It sure is. It’s a shame this placed doesn’t really get any good use, besides during the summer. Martha could probably rent it out and make some good money off of it, even though I don’t think she really needs it.”

“Why doesn’t she rent it out?”

“She says she built the guest house for family, so only family is allowed to stay in here. I personally think she’s just superstitious and doesn’t want any devil worshipers moving into her backyard,” Jasper answered shaking his head.

“Devil worshipers?”

“She watches WAY too much TV,” Jasper smiled, “She’s crazy, but in a good way.”

“Okay, well I’m going to go find a room. I am so tired right now, it’s not even funny.”

He shook his head, “I will never understand teenagers and how they can sleep so much.”

“It’s both a blessing and a curse,” I replied before heading up the steps to the second level of the guest house. Pictures lined the walls on either side. I could pick out Lena easily, in a few of the pictures, just from her eyes. Her hair was so dark, I realized then how much I missed her dark hair. It was just something about Lena that was Lena. Dark hair and bright green eyes. One picture that was my favorite was on the wall just next to one of the bedroom doors. Lena looked like she was about 5. She sitting in her dad’s lap and looking up at him, a huge gap toothed smile on her face, as he kissed her forehead. I guess being a daddy’s girl starts at a young age.

I turned the knob on the door and walked into the room. It was simple, compared to the rest of the house, with light blue walls, and a blue and brown bed spread. It wasn’t feminine, but it wasn’t masculine. It sort of, in a way, reminded me of a hotel room. It wasn’t as family oriented as the rest of the house, but whatever, I was only going to be here for one night. I closed the door behind me, setting my bag down on the floor next to the bed. I jumped onto the bed, stretching out on the cool bed spread, and slowly drifted off to sleep.