Chapter 7

Darkness...

Where was she? Why couldn't she see anything?

Suddenly, she became coherent when a putrid smell wafted under her nose.

Her eyes were closed, leading as to why she could not see before.

Quickly opening them, she saw that she wasn't home. No, far from it.

She was lying on the wooden floor of a Japanese dojo. And who else should be staring at her but her new so-called friends, the ninja turtles?

Sitting up, she glared.

"What the hell guys?! If you wanted to hang out, you just could of asked! Why on earth did you knock me out?!"

Then, catching the odor from before, she grimaced.

"And what is that smell?!"

"See dudes! I told you it we should've just asked!" Mikey said.

"What did she say?" Leo asked.

"She's asking why we knocked her out of course! And about some smell."

"Oh..." Leo said before turning to Valerie, who was oh-so-patiently awaiting an answer.

Then a new voice emerged. "Do not blame them Miss Johnson. I asked them to bring you here."

Seeing the turtles kneel to someone behind her, Valerie nervously turned around.

A large rat in a burgundy kimono stood before her. He seemed to have an aura that commanded respect. His eyes, though relaxed, gave a look that showed great wisdom, and his posture, though slightly stooped with age, still retained a rigid form. Showing that he was well fit for one of his years.

She instantly knew from Mikey's description that this was their adopted father and sensei, Master Splinter. She also knew that he didn't take well to strangers knowing about him and his sons' existences...

Looking back, she saw the guys had left.

Gulping, she stood and bowed.

Hearing a chuckle, she looked up, but remained in a bow.

"It appears Michelangelo has told you of me. You show much respect to me, even though we have not met before."

She prayed she didn't just get Mikey in trouble for that...

"He has told me you do not have the ability to speak. Is this true?"

She nodded, then, realizing she still had her bag from school with her, brought out a notebook and pencil.

'I am for the most part, sir. My vocal chords have been damaged for a long time. However... They have made slow progress to getting better. I can now make small sounds on occasion. Will the guys get in trouble for being my friend?'

Handing him the note, she saw his grin at the last part.

"I believe they have been disciplined enough. I can see you have a kind heart. You worry for them though you know not where you are or even if you yourself are in danger. I can already see they have chosen wisely for an ally."

She blushed. No one had ever called her kind hearted before, besides her aunt...

'Thank you...' she wrote, hiding her face behind the notebook as she showed it to him.

Placing a hand on her head, Master Splinter smiled.

"No. Thank you."

Smiling, she nodded when he offered for her to have tea with him.

Outside the dojo, Mikey was in the kitchen with his brothers, tossing and rolling some dough to make a pizza as Ice Cream Kitty prepared the toppings.

Leo sighed.

"I wonder if it's going okay? They've been in there for awhile..."

"I think we should go check." Raph said.

"I don't think Master Splinter would approve..." Donnie added.

"Dudes! I'm sure it's going fine," Mikey said.

"What makes you so sure?" Raph asked him.

"I know, because I believe Valerie is a nice person and Sensei will see that she is, too."

"... I think Mikey might be right," Leo said.

"Sensei is very good at sensing stuff like that," Donnie commented.

"I'm still not convinced she's as nice as you say," Raph stated.

"Why don't you try getting to know Valerie better?" Leo asked. "You got to know Casey better, and now you guys are best pals."

"That's different!"

"How so?"

"...Ugh! Fine! I'll give the midget a chance. If Sensei allows her to stay."

"She may."

The turtles all jumped when Master Splinter and Valerie appeared in the doorway. Valerie was giggling silently at the sight.

Master Splinter smiled before continuing.

"I will trust young Valerie as our new ally. However, do not let yourself be seen again. This is the last time I will go so easy on this subject."

"Hai, Sensei," they agreed.

"Now, I will turn in for the evening. Return Miss Valerie home soon."

Master Splinter then returned to his room beyond the dojo.

"Told ya! Now we can hang with Valerie at the lair! Booyakasha!"

Leo nervously walked up to Valerie.

"Sorry about knocking you out via pressure point... We couldn't let you see where we were taking you, after all. But--"

Putting a hand on his shoulder, she grinned.

"So... Your forgiving me?"

She nodded. After all, the sight of them being frightened after Master Splinter snuck up on them was more than worth it.

"Hey Val! Since you're here, wanna eat some of my specialty pizza? And then play some video games?"

She nodded.

"I just need to be home before 3, okay?"

"It's a deal, dudette! Now how much garlic do you want on your sour cream and peanut butter pizza?"