01 | may i dance with you?

Start from the beginning

     Liv rummages through the back of my closet and after a while emerges with a short, strapless dress. We finish doing our make-up and give ourselves one last look.

    "I look like a prostitute," she mutters.

     I flash a brilliant smile, meeting her gaze on the mirror. "Isn't that the point?"

***

     Blazing lights and crowds of people welcome us when we enter the club. It's enough to get my excitement going, until I hear the EDM music blasting around us. Sure, Clarity will always be an all-time favourite, but for heaven's sake, what is this ringing in my ears?

    "What kind of remix is this?" I let out. "They did Zedd no justice!"

    "That's what you're worried about?!"

     None of us have ever been to a club before. We didn't see it as something sacred and obligatory like most teenagers do, like it was the ultimate gateway to adulthood.

     That doesn't mean we don't know the drill.

    "Don't go more than an arm's length from me," I yell at Liv's ear.

    "I have a very long arm," she yells back.

    "Your elbow, then!"

     Like most clubs, this one is packed with the stench of alcohol, sweat and vomit. A stream of colours swarm our vision like a kaleidoscope, a mixture of red and green and blue. Girls and guys grind against each other, not leaving anything to one's imagination. Lips locking and — other parts about to lock.

     Did not plan to watch some dry humping tonight.

    "Why couldn't we go to a more moderate club?!" Liv demands, looking frightened as well.

    "They don't exist," I shout over the music. "And TJ goes here!"

     As if I hold fate in my hands, TJ sprang into view. Like literally sprang — it's almost as if he was waiting for the right moment to make his grand entrance. And he probably did, now that I'm seeing his posse of sophomores lining up behind him.

    "Well, well, look what the cat finally dragged in," TJ jeers, scanning my body. "Didn't know you had all that hidden, Addie."

     I cross my arms. "You don't know a lot of things."

    "A lot of people might disagree."

    "A lot of people are gullible."

     He clicks his tongue and changes his direction. "Looking good, Olivia," he smirks, giving her a once-over. "As usual."

     Here's also a thing about my best friend: even though Liv bats for the other team, she is never immune to compliments. And I know she's blushing right now.

    "If you excuse us, we'll be minding our own business," I drag Liv's hand, pulling her with me.

    "Oh, so you're not here because I told everyone in the cafeteria that you didn't have the stomach for the clubbing scene?"