» Twenty-Seventh Disturbance

Start from the beginning

I nodded, storming off and she trailed up behind me.

"So?" she started again, "As I said, are you sure about her?"

I giggled at her illogical question. "Of course. We already talked it out. We're okay now."

Hilary skipped in front of me, making me stop, and I looked at her in confusion.

"I don't know, A. But there's something in her that I can't figure out."

I shook my head at my best friend's remark. "You're thinking too much."

"Maybe I am." She sighed, running her fingers through her wavy blonde hair. "Look, I know what you've been through and I can see that you're getting better since you got together with her but... I have this bad feeling. Really bad... I-I don't know, maybe I just don't want you to get drown in happiness and then get hurt in the end."

Smiling in appreciation, I placed my hands over her shoulders. "I won't, okay?"

She frowned. "You know that's not true."

I released a worried sigh. "Maybe I will but I'm willing to take all the risk."

"But first, she needs to know what you've been through," she said, folding her arms again. "I'll talk to her."

"Save it, Ry. She already knows about Stella."

Hilary frowned. "She does?"

I nodded weakly, remembering how I cried that night, releasing all the pain I kept for years. "Yes, I already told her about it so don't get worried about something that we already buried last night."

"I don't understand."

I gave her a smile, then I unfolded her arms and held her wrists. "I move on, Ry. It's been years so don't you think I'm being overdramatic if I'm still coping about it."

"So the cheating helps?"

"No." I shook my head in disagreement. "All of you helped. Dad, Mom, Tiana, Bailey, and you. Especially, Quinn. The cheating was a mistake and I'm so tired of pretending that it could get me any better. The truth is, it never even made me feel better. It made me worse. I was lying with everybody especially to myself and I think it's now time to fix all I messed up."

My best friend smiled tenderly at me. "If Quinn made you realize this then I couldn't agree more. But I just want you to know if she hurt you, I'll knock her off without asking any permission from you."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, fine. You're my best friend so it's your job to have my back and of course, I have yours, too."

"Oh, really?" she snickered. "You don't even know that I have a date tomorrow with Alec."

My eyes grew wide and I leaped in excitement. "Really? Oh my! Congratulations! I know that you like him so much and I'm so happy that he asked you out."

She blushed which was very unusual for her. "Yeah, I like him since we partnered up in English last year."

"Since last year? I don't know about that."

She rolled her eyes. "Because you were too busy hooking up secretly all around and your attention is all on your Quinn now. Sometimes, you're annoying the hell out of me. How can you be such a bad, uncaring best friend?"

"Oh, don't get upset," I said and then a smirk crept on my lips. "You know, I really miss my Aston Martin so why don't we go shopping later for your date tomorrow?"

"Shopping?" she mused, smiling back at me. "Sure, but I'll make sure Tiana and Bailey won't mess up with my outfit."

I laughed. "Silly! It's going to be only you and me."