New Years in the Galaxy

"Are you sure Padawans are allowed, Barriss?" I questioned. She was taking me to the Jedi celebration on thr roof of the temple. Apparently it was something I could not miss. I have never gone in the past and didn't plan on going this year, but Barriss convinced me to give it a try.

"Of course! It's usually only Padawans that show up, anyway. You'll love it."

"If you're so sure..." I mumbled as she pulled me up the stairs to the roof.

I must have stood there for at least 5 minutes marveling at the scene in front of me. There was a band there blasting music too incredibly loudly. There was confetti all over the place. People were dancing, drinking, and screaming. I had never seen anything more horrifying.

Barriss had already run to join the party, go I discretely turned around and walked right back to my quarters. I would go to the party for all Republic officers at the Senate building instead. Maybe Padme is there, and where there's Padme, there's Anakin. It's really a shame the Jedi code prohibits attachment; they would make a really cute couple.

I changed into my dress for formal parties (picture at the the top of the chapter; credits in the picture) and went to the hangar to get a small intraplanetary ship to fly to the Senate building.

It was nice to fly through the skies of the city planet at night. Fireworks went off in scattered clusters everywhere. Because of the war, I never really get to see fireworks anymore. Any occasion requiring them is rare and special.

I landed my ship and walked inside. There were balloons everywhere. Senators and older Jedi Generals were clustered in groups chatting. After doing a quick scan of the room, I concluded that neither Anakin not Padme were present.

There were food tables along the back wall, so naturally, I checked them out first. Each dish was a dessert from a different planetary system within the Republic. It's comforting to know that the Senators can work together, even for something as small as dessert.

I stuffed myself with all sorts of interesting foods until I felt like i was going to burst. After using the 'fresher, I sauntered around the room looking for someone to talk to.

I didn't have to go far. As I was walking by the lift, somone grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the lift. I would've screamed, but said person also placed a firm hand over my mouth. As the lift door closed completely, I stomped my foot down on his (I was pretty sure it was a "he" at this point) foot. The response was a small yelp as his hands let go of me. I turned around, fists at the ready.

"Nice to see you too," Lux said. "I would certainly not like to be on your bad side if this is how you say hello to friends."

I lowered my fists. "Sorry! How was I suposed to know it was you?"

He smirked. "You weren't."

The lift doors opened, and Lux led me to his office. He grabbed a bag on his desk, and we turned around. He took me to the landing pad next, where we boarded one of the buses to the Senate Apartment complex. The bus was pretty much empty, as most Senators were at the party.

When we arrived, Lux led me to another lift. Once inside, I couldn't help but start asking questions.

"So, where are we going?"

"You'll see."

"Are you really not going to tell me?"

"Nope. It's a surprise."

"You're some friend," I joked. He just smiled.

The doors opened, and we stepped out.

"You'll love this one, I promise," he said, beaming. Clutching the bag he'd picked up earlier to his chest, he bolted down the hall, pulling my hand. I ran after him, trying to keep up.