Chapter 4 The Gates of Hell

Chapter 4

     Alex Donovan was traveling east on the same County Road as Helen when he caught sight of a truck that collided into a tree.  He turned the tan Cherokee Jeep around, and headed towards the scene of the crash.  He maneuvered the Jeep to the shoulder of the road, put the gearshift into park, and then activated the emergency flashers.

      He reached over, grasped the black metal flashlight lying on the seat beside him, and then thrust himself into the ruthless wind and snow.  Alex could hear the Things scrambling around, taking flight to their dwelling place.  He paused, and listened, thrown off guard by the unusual amount of activity the Things were producing.  Alex knew that the Things were not just a created spoof to gain tourist and myth debunkers to the small town of Boonville.  Alex knew they were real, and he knew that they were watching his every move.

     He assessed the perimeter.  The irradiated shaft of light coming from the huge Maglite slashed through the darkness like a broad, double edge sword as it scoured over the coruscated terrain.  They were watching, watching and waiting, the vivid green eyes assessing him.  With a smirk, and not being intimidated, he said in a whisper,  "What in the hell?  I don't remember seeing so many of you little fuckers in one place at the same time.  No free meal tonight for any of you ancient pieces of shit   He covered his mouth and nose with his left arm. “Smells like the gates of Hell just opened up."

     Alex, satisfied that the Things were going to keep a distance from him with rapid strides he made his way down the semi-slopped embankment, and slid, most of the way into the wreckage.  Helen heard a dull thud, she was afraid to see what caused it.  Alex tapped on the driver’s side window with the knuckle of his gloved index finger.  Helen jumped; fear shot through her like a jolt of electricity.  A blood, curdling scream escaped from the immeasurable depth of her demoralized soul.  Hysterical, she thrust herself backwards, making her way to the passenger door, shielding her eyes from the brightness of the light coming from the window with her hands.  This sent her into a recall of the killer could be standing right outside her truck.  She continued to move towards the passenger door yelling, "Get away from me!"  Each time she yelled, “Get away from me!” Her voice grew louder as she became aware that a tall, bulky, dark and shadowy siloutte at her window was now trying to open her truck door.

     Alex struggled with the door, but it finally opened, making a loud squeaking noise.  The interior became brighter than the flash light she used; in fact, it was as bright as a spotlight on a theatrical stage.  She thought that maybe he was a police man, but then the fear took a hold of her once again and she felt she was about to have to fight for her life.

 Alex directed the beam of his flashlight on to Helen, and her face contorted with terror.  She glared at Alex, wild-eyed like a rabid animal.  Then she turned her face away from the light. "Get away from me...leave me alone!”  She shrieked, gulping air furiously, and all the while, her long slender legs violently thrust towards him, in an attempt to keep him away. 

     Alex shouted, "Are you hurt?"  He attempted to overpower her high-pitched shrieks. He saw a bloody handprint streaking down the inside of the window. Strands of her long, blackberry colored hair plastered her face. Pieces of broken glass glimmered in her hair, and on her clothing.

    "Get...the fuck...away from me!" She roared.  Helen fumbled with the door handle fiercely; she jiggled the metal handle up and down.  She pushed on the solid door with her shoulder, grunting and gasping, but the passenger door wasn't responding.

      Alex was scanning the inside with the Maglite.  After he saw the damaged windshield, he let out a long whistle. “I hope your head didn’t do that!”