Prologue: The Sugar Creek Massacre

I rated this pg-13 but is R.  It is a horror story with paranormal, and spiritual content. I would like to thank my dear friend, Mary Eddy, for encouraging me to post my novel on wattpad.  Thank you so much Mary, and most of all thank you for believing in my story.

      The small town, Boonville, with the population of six hundred and sixty six is the most haunted urban area in the state of Colorado.  The mining territory was an established settlement in 1858, and was one of the first developments from the Pike Peak Gold Rush. There are no records to indicate how many miners died from the hopes of striking it rich. Many locals claimed to see ghost of those miners, and no one questions the person or people talking about the encounters.  There have also been sightings reported of men dressed in Civil War clothing roaming the boundaries of Boonville. 

     The most apparitions caught on film or digital cameras are of gruesome and angry Native Americans. That is what started the tourist to trickle in through the years as more photos were increasing in number, and posted on the Internet by paranormal enthusiast.  Boonville happened to be located in the same exact area where one of the worse massacres happened during the civil war.  After the paranormal addicts uncovered the heinous history that occurred in 1864, Boonville was never the same.  

     Travis Matthew’s, an avid history buff, and knew the history of Boonville became the tourist guide.   He gave the most accurate account of the misery inflicted upon the Native Americans on November 29, 1864. The lecture is in the first church established in this community, and is now the museum for all the local artifacts donated, or unearthed. The town had to have someone to organize the people because they wandered outside the town into unsafe terrain.  When some of the excursionist wandered out of the boundaries of Boonville, they disappeared. Unfortunately, for those people curiosity kills the cat.

     Travis added an eerie quality as he told the most chilling version, "This history session is required to qualify you to take the dangerous and perilous tour I have planned for you. But first, I must know if there is anyone who has not sign the waver about how, Boonville is not responsible for putting your life in my hands!  May I see a show of hands that have not signed the waver?"  He would scan the crowd for the count.

      Those of you who are brave enough to take this journey may remain seated.  If any of you are chicken the, Anything Cafe, is right down the road, you can't miss it. I am sure the cook will be happy to fry you...a delicious piece of chicken.   But don't come crying to me if you are missing a wing or a leg, oh and he likes to deep fry...the chickens. The room would roar with laughter. Everyone always remain seated.

      Because Travis was a descendant of one of the Gold Rush miners, he dressed like one to give the audience a glimpse of how a miner dressed.  A pair of threadbare Levis held up with a piece of rope, and hanging from the rope belt was a beat up canteen. A long sleeve red shirt that was coming apart at the seams and his Levis tucked inside a pair of rubber boots that curved over his knees.

.     He had a blue kerchief tied around his neck, and it was fraying. The hat was a shabby wide felt type. Travis's hair was a curly, brick red, and so was his moustache and beard, and it was a shaggy length.  His thick eyebrows had more of a cooper tint.  Freckles splotched Travis’s pale skin. He did look as if he just walked out of a mining camp from head to toe. 

        He paced the creaking wooden floors of the old church back and forth with his hands tucked behind him as he told the sorrowful truth.  He stated in a depressing tone, "On November 29, 1864, peaceful Southern Cheyenne, and Arapahoe Indians were massacred by a band of Colonel John Chivington's volunteers, here at Sand Creek."   Behind him was a large map of what the state of Colorado looked like back in 1864.  He took his long stick he used as a pointer, and placed the tip showing the location of Sand Creek.