Chapter 5

On Monday, everything started of good. Claire and I walked to our first classes together. However, she wasn't really talking to me like she normally does. When i first met her she barely said two words, but since we've gotten close she talks all the time, I love it, it shows that she is really letting me in. I automatically know something is up.

"Are you okay?" I ask, squeezing her hand.

"I'm fine." She bluntly states. I decided not to question her anymore, the last thing I want to do is make her upset. Once we get to her class, I give her a hug; I feel her hug me back, but not with as much effort or love as she normally does. My heart begins to hurt, what if I'm not what she wants anymore? I watch as she goes to her seat, putting her headphones in. I watch thinking about how much it would hurt me to lose her; my thoughts are interrupted by the sound of the bell. Great, I'm late.

    I know everyone's got their eyes on me as I walk in and take my seat in the back. I look up, the teacher gives me a disappointed look, i just look back down and begin to write some song lyrics. Whatever mood I'm in effects my writing so much. When I'm happy I write upbeat, party songs; when I'm sad I write heartbreaking songs; lately, I've mostly been writing love songs, all in reference to my darling Claire. On of notebook piece of paper I begin to write 'When you look at me you're a million miles away, I wonder where you are and who you're with because it's not me...' I've liked girls before, but never like the way I adore Claire. I can't sit still or focus on anything right now, I just need to figure out what is going on. I look at the clock, I've only been in class for twenty minutes. I flick my pencil against the desk, my thought running a million miles an hour.

    The bell rings, I bolt from my seat and rush to meet Claire at her locker. I see her grabbing her purse, what is she doing? We can't bring bags into our classrooms.

"Are you going somewhere?" I question a little too harshly.

"Um yes actually, I have to go to lunch with my parents." Claire snarled. I understand now why she was acting weird, she hasn't actually eaten with her parents in months. 

"I'm sorry." I sigh, defeated. I shouldn't have snapped at her like did.

"It's whatever. I'll call you later." She says, leaning in and kissing my cheek. I watch as she walks out the school door.

     I get to class, I've never actually met Claire's parents before, I hope lunch is going okay. I know she doesn't really have a relationship with them, and she was already in a bad mood when she left.  

     The last bell rings, dismissing us from school. Claire still hasn't come back to school, nor has she responded to any of my texts. I can't help but feel nervous, what if she needs me and I'm not their for her? I decide to head to her house, this could be the worst decision ever, but I don't care.

     Arriving at her house, I see her car, and two other ones. I walk up to the door, as I'm about to knock I hear yelling. I can tell it's Claire's; just as i sit there, not knowing what to do the door swings open. Claire looks at me shocked to see I am there, almost looking at me furiously.

"Where do you think you're going?" I hear and older man yell, shaking the house.

"Anywhere but here!" Claire screams; grabbing my hand she pulls me to my car and hops in. Before I can object she closes the door. I get in and we drive for a little while, I'm not sure where I'm supposed to take her. I park at the river side trail close to my house. Claire gets out of the car, and I follow her. I take her hand in mine, and we walk silently along the trail.

"Are you ok?" I ask, worried.

"I don't know..." She sighs, I can tears begin to form in her eyes.