Chapter 4

Claire and I have been getting closer and closer over the past few weeks. We have gone on a couple dates, but tonight I want to ask her to be my girlfriend. I got her a necklace, which I hope she will like. I get into a pair of black dress pants and a dark blue, long sleeve, dress shirt. Since we are going out to eat at a fancy restaurant, I thought I should dress up.

            I drive to Claire’s house, where it turns out she is the only one home, like normal. I want to meet her parent. Claire says they don’t pay attention to her or what she does though. I feel bad, they have a truly amazing daughter and they don’t even realize it. I walk up to Claire’s door, and knock, while taking in a deep breath. The door opens, and there stands Claire, looking as beautiful as ever. She is dressed in a light blue dress that matches her eyes, it goes down to just above her knee, she has a pair of diamond, dangling earrings, and a pair of silver heels. Her hair is half up, half down, and curled. I gasp at how beautiful she is.

“You look beautiful.” I state.

“Thanks.” She smiles, blushing. I take her hand and we walk to my car. I open the door and she gets in.

            We drive off, Claire looks for my CD’s. She has the greatest taste in music ever! She loves 80’s rock bands, some 90’s, and a few modern days. It amazes me. She decides on some Aerosmith. We blare and sing along. While Claire belts out the chorus to ‘Angel’, I watch her. She is so into the music, it means so much to the both of us. It’s all we’ve had.

            Once we arrive at the restaurant, we walk hand in hand. We get set at our table, which has a beautiful view of the river that is just behind it. As the sun sets, it truly is a beautiful sight, but not as beautiful as Claire. I look at her.

“So how are you doing?” I question.

“Good, you?” She laughs.

“Great now that I get to be with the most beautiful girl.” I smile, again Claire blushes and looks down.

            The waiter comes and we order our food, I get a chicken Alfredo dish; Claire orders a pound of crab legs. I laugh, that girl can eat an insane amount of food. I decided that while we wait for food is the best time to ask her.

“Ok, Claire I have a question for you, and I want you to answer honestly.” I state. She looks at me concerned, but nods.

“I know we’ve been on a couple dates, and we hang out all the time. I was wondering if you will be my exclusive girlfriend?” I ask, my heart racing just like the first time I saw her.

“Of course.” Claire nods, her face growing into a huge smile as her eyes twinkle.

“I have something for you.” I say, reaching into my pocket for the necklace.

“You didn’t have to get me anything.” Claire objects.

“Too bad.” I say, showing her the box. She covers her mouth with her hands and looks up at me astonished. I open the box to revel the silver heart necklace I bought her.

“Thank you, it’s gorgeous.” Claire stutters, speechless I assume. I stand up and put it around her neck. It seems like the most opportune time to have our first kiss, but I don’t want to have it at a restaurant; I sit back, and smile lovingly at Claire.

            We eat our food, and then decided to order a dessert. We end up deciding on a brownie with Carmel and hot fudge on it, with a scoop of ice cream to share. We both fight with our spoons for different bites. When Claire laughs I swear the whole room lights up, her head goes back slightly, and it’s almost like she is free in a way. As much as Claire argues, I pay for our meal. We ride back to her house, listening to the rest of the Aerosmith album.

“Do you want to come in?” Claire asks as we get up to her door.

“Sure.” I smile, knowing that she is going to have to be alone. Claire and I have both talked and we aren’t going to have sex until we are married, so I don’t need to worry about that happening either.

            Claire and I take a seat on her couch; I wrap my arm around Claire’s shoulder, and she leans her head on my chest.

“Thank you again for the dinner and my necklace.” Claire says looking up at me.

“Anything for you.” I say, leaning in. I know this is the perfect time for the kiss, so I go for it. Our lips collide and there is something inside of me that just bursts. My lips melt into our kiss, her soft, moist lips are tearing into my soul, making me weak at the knees.

            After we finish kissing, Claire cuddles up to me and we sit there, in front of the TV which is off. We sit in silence, but it’s comfortable; it almost brings us closer together than words ever could.

            Once I can see that Claire is five seconds away from falling asleep I decide it’s time to go. We stand up and Claire hugs me.

“You look very handsome, I forgot to say that earlier.” Claire smiles.

“Thanks.” I chuckle, giving her a kiss, then head to my car where I go home. I get there and just lay down in my bed staring at the ceiling. Tonight was the most perfect night I’ve ever had. I can’t believe how hard and fast I am falling for Claire.