Chapter 2

Saturday afternoon, after I work my shift at a bookstore, I head home and decided to call Claire. The phone rings a couple of times, but then she answers.

“Hello?” I hear her voice questions, and I smile.

“Hey Claire, it’s Noel, the guy who drove you home last night. Janette gave me your number.” I say.

“Oh, hey.” Claire says.

“Is that ok?” I questions, not wanting to step on any boundaries.

“Yeah, it’s completely fine.” Claire says.

“So I called to see how you are.” I state.

“I’m good, you?” She questions.

“Awesome now that I’m talking to you.” I flirt, Claire lets out a little laugh. We talk for almost an hour, about everything but yet nothing.

            I’ve never actually have ever had a serious relationship, I’ve had a couple of dates and kisses but nothing that lasted more than a week or two. I could definitely see myself dating Claire for the rest of my life and getting married. I can’t believe I’m actually thinking this right now!

            Sunday I spend writing music, and no matter what I write it always reflects how I feel about Claire. Tomorrow I’m going to see her, and walk her to her classes, I’ve decided it. I just want her to like me back. I toss and turn all night, I have a terrible nightmare of Claire being at my concert, but then she just leaves and never talks to me again. After that, I don’t want to go back to sleep.

            I get up and dress for school, for the first time I’m actually worried about what to wear. What does Claire like guys to wear? After twenty minutes of trying to decide, I finalize on a pair of black skinny jeans, black converse, and a black V-neck. Half of the things I own are black, so there isn’t much of a variety.

            I walk through the doors of school, head to my locker and grab what I need for my first class. I then walk down the hallway where Claire’s locker is, she told me and I’m hoping that she would be there. My heart drops when I see a guy, holding her locker door as she grabs her books. I guess I never did ask if she had a boyfriend. I quickly go down the opposite hallway hoping she doesn’t see me. How could I have been so stupid; of course someone like her would have a boyfriend?

            I walk into College Chemistry and sit down next to Brad, automatically he can tell I am upset.

“What’s got your panties in a whirl?” He says, punching my arm.

“Nothing.” I grunt; class starts, and no matter how hard I try to pay attention it doesn’t work. My mind drifts to the guy at Claire’s locker, how lucky is it to have a girl like that.

            Lunch comes around and the guys and I sit together eating our food. I’m not even that hungry.

“Ok, seriously Noel, what’s going on?” Brad questions.

“Does this have anything to do with Claire?” Jack teases.

“Maybe.” I sigh.

“What’s going on guys?” Janette says, taking a seat at our table.

“Noel here is upset thanks to Claire.” Brad informs Janette.

“Why?” Janette questions, looking at me.

“Her boyfriend.” I simply say.

“What?” Janette laughs.

“The guy sitting next to her right now, and who was by her locker this morning.” I explain, glancing at their table.

“You mean Joel? Yeah, they aren’t dating. They may be good friends, but she hasn’t shut up about you all day.” Janette informs me.

“Really?” I say, suddenly filling with joy.

“Yeah.” Janette says. The bell rings, which means lunch is over. I run to catch up with Claire. Luckily Joel leaves just before I get there, so it’s not awkward. When Claire notices me she lets a small smile creep across her face and it makes my heart swell.

“Hey.” I say, a little too enthusiastic.

“Hi.” Claire chuckles.

            We walk to Claire’s locker and then mine. I then walk her to her class, which just so happens is next to mine.

“You look very beautiful today.” I smile, as we get to her class. I observe her Def Leppard shirt, a pair of black ripped skinny jeans, and combat boots.

“Thanks.” She smiles, and then walks into the class room. I head into mine and take a seat. Thankfully, I have no homework by the end of the day, I want to ask Claire out tonight.

“Can I drive you home?” I ask, as we meet in the hallway after school.

“You don’t have to.” Claire states.

“I want to.” I say, taking her hand in mine. My heart races as electricity runs through my body. We walk to my car, and get in.

“You know, I thought you didn’t want to talk to me when you didn’t come and talk to me this morning at my locker.” Claire says, looking at me. Shit! She saw me.

“Yeah, I thought Joel was your boyfriend.” I mumble.

“Why would that matter?” Claire questions, confused.

“Because I want to be your boyfriend.” I glance at her, just soon enough to see her smile, blush, and look down.

            We arrive at her house, I walk her to the door. She thanks me again, for the millionth time. As Claire is about to open the door, I get up the nerves to ask her out.

“Claire, will you on a date with me Friday night?” I ask, praying she will say yes.

“I’d love to.” She smiles, I nod, and she goes into her house. As I walk to my car, I have the largest smile on my face, I get to go out with the most amazing woman on the planet.