Chapter 3

Friday at school I walk to Claire's locker, where she isn't there yet. As I stand there and wait for her to come, a couple of girls in my grade come up and talk to me.

"Hey Noel, what are you doing by these lockers?" A girl named Sarah asks me.

"Waiting for a friend." I smile.                    

"We're friends, why don't you ever wait by my locker for me?" Sarah questions.

"She's a special friend." I say, winking. They laugh, walking away.

            Not too long later, Claire still isn't at her locker. I text her, worried. 'Hey, where are you? I'm at your locker.' A few seconds later I get a text back, 'Sorry, I'm home sick. I'm not going to be able to go on our date tonight either.' My heart drops, I was so excited to see her and go tonight. 'It's ok! Get better. If you need anything let me know.' I text, and walk to first hour, defeated. The whole time I think of Claire home, sick and alone.

            As I walk to my locker after first hour ends, I put my books in my locker. I have decided that for the first time in my life, I am going to skip class. I get in my car and drive to Claire's, not before I stop at the store though. I pick up some cough drops, popsicles, saltines, 7-Up, and a romantic movie. I drive to her house, anxious to what her reaction will be.

            I get to the door, knock. It take a good minute or so, but then the door opens. There is Claire, her hair tangled and hanging down her shoulders, in a pair of light blue footie pajamas, and looking at me very confused.

"Noel?" She questions.

"Hey, so I thought why would I be at school when I can help you feel better here."  I state, handing her the bag I got.

"I didn't know what you were sick with, so I just got the general stuff. Also, I got a chick flick that we can watch." I say smiling.

"You didn't have to, and I don't want to get you sick." Claire sighs, looking at me with a slight smile on her face.

"I'll take my chances, I mean who wants to be at school anyways?" I smile, Claire moves aside, and I walk into her house.

            I gasp, her house is huge. I mean from the outside it looked big, but this has to be the biggest house I have ever been in. Claire gives me a tour, there are so many rooms in the house. Claire explains to me that her mother is a doctor, and her father is a lawyer, that's how they have so much money. Claire doesn't like it though, because she never gets to see her parents. She also explains to me that she doesn't like having such a big house because it gets lonely.

            We walk into the living room, after Claire puts the things I got her away. She takes the 7-up and a popsicle and we sit down to watch 'He's Just Not That into You', I've never seen it before, but then again I haven't really seen any chick flicks.

"Have you seen this movie before?" I ask.

"No, have you?" Claire questions.

"Nope." I smile.

            She puts the movie in and it begins, Claire scoots closer to me, and we share a blanket. About half way through the movie Claire puts a pillow on my lap and lays down. My heart races, but I begin to run my fingers through her soft, blond hair. As the movie comes to an end, I look down and see Claire is asleep. She looks so peaceful and beautiful. I sit there, gazing at her beauty. I don't know how much time goes by, but then she starts to wake up. I panic to myself, what am I supposed to do? I mean she is going to think I was creeping on her... which I guess is understandable.

"I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep." Claire mumbles, whipping her eyes.

"It's ok, you should get some sleep. It'll help you feel better." I smile at her.

"Thank you for being here with me. It's nice not being alone." She smiles, sitting up.

"I'll be here whenever you want. All you need to do is let me know." I tell her, meaning every word.

            Claire and I sit, talking for a while. We discuss the band, my mom and dad, our dreams. I lost track of time, but then the doorbell rang. Claire got up and I heard Janette's voice coming closer.

"So I went to all your teachers and got all your homework, and..." She stops once we make eye contact.

"Hey Janette." I say, trying to be all cool.

"Hey Noel, what are you doing here?" Janette questions.

"He came to check on me." Claire states.

"I was just leaving. Claire, call me if you need anything." I say, standing up. I decided that I should let them hang out. I give Claire a hug goodbye and get into my car. I head home, where I go to my room and write some lyrics down.

            Claire texts me later in the evening, thanking me again for coming over today. We talk for a while, then I tell her she needs to go to bed so she can be at school tomorrow. She agrees, and that is when we say goodnight. I go to bed smiling after an amazing day.