Good Intentions, Bad Plan

Start from the beginning

"Oh ha ha, nice joke." The human then reached into their bag, pulling out a flowerpot.

"Who said I was joking?" Flowey replied in a monotone voice.

It was silent until (Y/N) finally spoke, their voice obviously holding confusion. "Well, I'm your friend."

He gave a scoff before glaring at the ground. "No you aren't. You never were."

They gave a confused frown. "You said yourself that I'm the only one you trust."

"You," His voice now turned into a growl, showing his growing anger and ruining the emotionless facade. "are the last person I would ever trust."

Carefully, they set down their bag and the flowerpot before starting to edge closer.

"Don't take another step!" His voice snapped with a razor sharp edge, causing them to stop rigidly. "Stay away from me..."

"Flowey... what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Don't act like you give a damn about me." He spat out harshly. "I should've killed you when I got the chance..."

This caused their heart to clench painfully. They tried to approach again, yet Flowey yelled at the human. With a small trembling breath, they spoke. "I do care about yo-"

Suddenly Flowey turned and faced the human with a scowl and a burning glare. "Why'd you leave then?! You PROMISED me you wouldn't leave!"

(E/C) eyes widened before saying in a small voice, "I'm still keeping my promise Flowey."

"Liar," He replied with a growl as his glare intensified. "You disappeared for TWO MONTHS and you're trying to tell me that you kept your promise?!"

His tone increased in volume as the wetness began to form in his eyes to which he grew even more angry, holding them back. "How stupid do I look to you?!"

"I...I tried... I really did..." The human softly said as the pain in their chest grew, tears starting to prick their eyes.

After the last visit to Flowey when they gifted him the charm bracelet, Toriel was waiting in her chair, a worried and angry look on her face as she read. When they walked in, she started questioning where they've been going for it seems this isn't the only time (Y/N) was caught sneaking out.
In the end, Toriel grounded them for four months, no matter how much (Y/N) begged her. They were debating whether or not to bring this to Flowey's attention, but shook off the idea knowing it was their fault and nobody else's.

"I'm sorry... I should've... should've tried harder..."

"You know... I used to feel... something whenever I was around you." Flowey said softly before giving a bitter laugh. "That was before you broke the promise."

A few silent tears fell from the human's eyes before wiping them away and looking down at their lap. "... I know how to get your soul back..."

This caught Flowey's attention as he could feel a small glimmer of hope, making him give a scowl at the useless and childish feeling. "The little human that cried souls. Everything that comes out of your mouth is a stupid lie."

This caused the human to quickly look at Flowey with a glare before shouting, "It's not a lie!"

The sudden shout from the pacifist caused his scowl to form into a frown as his eyes filled again with the sad substance. He tried to hold them back as his throat tightened uncomfortably and his feeling of hope and sadness swam confusedly in his mind and heart. He took a shuddering breath before speaking and cursing mentally at himself for the quivering pitch of his voice.

"You... really... like to make me s-suffer... huh?"

At his voice, the human stood before kneeling in front of him. Flowey tried to put on a scowl along with a glare, yet his teary gaze told a different story. "S-Stay away... I don't want y-your pity... I-I don't n-need it..."

Instead of them stopping like the last time he told them to, they came closer before softly sitting in front of him. Gently, they wrapped their arms around the blossom of Flowey before pulling him to their frame. The tears now fell freely from the both of their eyes as their bodies shook from the sobs.

"I-I... I hate y-you..."

The human tightened their grip on the fragile being in their arms, careful not to crush Flowey. "... I know... a-and you have... every right to."

~***~

"Hell, that's bright!"

They gave a small chuckle at Flowey's words as he squinted at the sun high in the sky. "Don't look directly at it. You'll go blind."

"Wouldn't be the worst thing that happened to me." He said with a bitter edge to it.

A small sad frown was directed at him before looking ahead. "How's the flowerpot holding up?"

"Fine." Flowey replied curtly.

They gave a small nod as they adjusted the backpack digging in their shoulders, careful not to jostle Flowey too much.

After all the tears had passed the flower accepted the offer hesitantly, clearly not trusting them as much as he used to. There was barely any talking as they made the trip down Mt. Ebott to Alphys' house and lab. Flowey's going to possibly be happy after the procedure if he gets his soul back and it ends up ending the human as well, but that thought's a bit too depressing for them, so they pushed it to the back of their mind to worry about when the time comes.

'It may cost me my life, but I'm determined to make it right. I promise you Flowey that you'll be happy,' They gave a sad grin at the flower in their hands who's eyes were shut with a ghost of a smile, enjoying the warmth the sun gave off. Their gaze returned to the path to see Alphys' house in view, quickening their pace. 'one way or another.'