Good Intentions, Bad Plan

"Alphys please!"

"I-I don't think that's possible (Y/N)." The reptilian scientist replied while typing away at a computer.

"Well, have you tried with an actual human?"

It was silent as the clacking ceased momentarily. Her breathing went slightly shaky while the human stood beside her.

"No. I-I g-guess not..."

A hopeful smile came across their face. "I'm a willing subject and I already have another we can use as the other test subject."

Her gaze left the computer screen to look them in the face. "There's... side effects though... that never go away or can be changed..."

The human sat patiently, waiting to see if Alphys would finish speaking, yet she never did. "The side effects would be...?"

Her voice went even more shaky. "... You die..."

(E/C) eyes widened slightly as their heart seemed to skip a beat. A fifty-fifty chance of either the plan working, or them dying. Several seconds passed as they thought what to do before giving a tense nod.

"I still wanna give it a shot."

"That's the thing though. I don't know if I want to give it a shot." She gave them a sad look. "The other subject will survive, but you could die."

They gave her a small grin before speaking. "I'm sorry, but this isn't your decision nor is it anyone else's. It's mine."

Alphys remained quiet as she examined the human in a pitying and interested look before giving a nod. "Get the test subject. I'll tell Toriel you're doing a favor for me so you can get out of your grounding for at least a few hours."

Quickly they launched themselves at Alphys, muttered thank you over and over before finally stepping away from her and running out of the lab with a happy grin and a tiny skip in their step, making the long trip to Mt. Ebott.

~***~

A sad glare was directed at the twinkling charm connected to his leaf. The feelings that were still unknown had finally faded. However, now he was stuck in a constant depressed stage. It was even worse than before.

'I should've known... (Y/N)'s no different from the others. Got my hopes up and now I'm paying the price.'

Two months have passed since the human last visited him after giving him the charm. They haven't returned since. At first he thought maybe they were hurt. Yet, his mind went to darker places and was saying that the human abandoned him.

A sudden slapping of footsteps caused his heart to give a painful lurch and he had the sudden urge to merge with the earth and get away. That's when anger flared and he stayed rooted to his spot.

'There's no reason for me to run away. I didn't break my promise...'

(Y/N)'s panting figure ran into view, yet he refused to meet their gaze. "Flowey... I... I have a surprise! You gotta come with me though."

More anger flooded through him at their cheerful voice. Here Flowey was, practically drowning in self-loathing and sadness, yet they have the courage to show up here... and with a smile? Without looking at them he replied, "Why would I go anywhere with you?"