14 : [ Stranger Danger ]

---

You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right? You're nice and wonderful. But while it seems like you're choosing both, you're really foresaking both

---

Noises of people conversing with each other drifted into my sensitive ears somewhat as a wake-up call and my eyes flickered open, flinching at the thin rays of moonlight that peeked through the open space between my closed curtains.

-Why are they already awake...? Isn't it still quite early in the evening?-

Turning to look at the clock, I realized that I was the one who had overslept and let out a sigh. By this time I had already missed a class.

Groaning quietly, I slipped out of bed to head downstairs and grab a quick cup of coffee, expecting no one else to be there. Quickly, I changed into casual jeans and a black shirt, letting my long, silvery white hair remain unruly in its bedhead state. As I pushed the door open and walked down the empty hallways, the sound of talking only magnified and I was surprised to also hear an unfamiliar voice.

Reaching the stairs, I yawned, but stopped abruptly. The vampires had all gathered formally downstairs, missing a class as well. I shifted my attention and found myself staring into the sharp, icy blue eyes of a seemingly old vampire that resembled Ichijou near the bottom of the stairs. Awkwardly, I observed the current situation.

Kaname had his hands guarded by Ruka, who pushed him away from the old-looking vampire, whose hand was in Aido's tight grip.

"I'm sorry, Kaname-sama," Ruka apologized, "but...!"

Aido continued her, glaring at the unknown vampire, "Your joke has gone too far, Asato Ichijou-sama."

-Ichijou-sama...? Then he's related to Takuma Ichijou, huh.-

The vampire's low voice rumbled, "The girl of Souen and the son of Aido, hm?"

"To go after a pureblood's blood is the highest taboo!" Aido remained fierce in his argument, "I don't fear you--"

Before he could continue, Kaname delivered (another) swift slap to his face, silencing the blonde immediately.

Calmly, Kaname turned back to Ichijou's relative and bowed, "It seems that some discipline is needed."

"It's because Kaname-sama is around that I can feel at ease about leaving my grandson at this academy."

-Grandson... So, he's Ichijou's grandfather, but what is he doing here?-

"However," Ichijou's grandfather's eyes took a speedy turn towards me as I cautiously peered down from behind the pillar at the top of the stairs at the scene, "how come I was not informed that there was a ghoul attending this academy?"

For the second time that day, I sighed as all the attention was suddenly brought to me and I stepped out from the pillar in my just-awoken state, attempting to be as polite as possible, but failing due to the bored and emotionless tone of my voice.

"My apologies for interrupting. I was just going to the kitchen to get some coffee. If you'll please excuse me, just, uh, carry on."

"..."

The dorm submerged in an awkward silence as the vampires looked up at me in disbelief. Not only did I feel completely out of place because of how I was the only one who didn't have a single clue what was going on and why Ichijou's grandfather was here, but Ichijou himself was sweating nervously at the scene, probably wishing that I would've woken up later.

"White hair and the eyepatch. You must be that One-Eyed Ghoul who had caused quite the fuss previously. The Centipede, am I right?," Again, another person had easily recognized me, "What a pleasant surprise to have you show up in this academy. Who knew that the SS-rated Centipede was just another teenage girl?"

Unfazed, I raised a slim eyebrow at him, "I never realized I was that famous. Listen, old man, I'm not so sure what your business is here, but it would be in your best interest not to challenge me. I have no desire to get involved in issues between vampires."

Once again, the dorm became absolutely silent. At this point, Ichijou was sweating even more than before and shot me a few panicked glances. I simply shrugged lightly at him.

Ichijou's grandfather looked at me in mild surprise for a few moments before he let out a low chuckle, shocking everyone here.

"You're an interesting young girl," He smirked before he turned back to Kaname and bent down, kissing Kaname's hand, "My Lord, I shall leave to discuss things with my grandson in private now."

With that, he took his leave quietly and went upstairs along with Ichijou. Just as the Night Class began to disperse, Kaname grabbed my arm without being noticed as he passed by, stopping me.

"Quite brave today, huh?" Kaname peered down at me, letting out a quiet chuckle.

"No, but seriously, I don't know who he is other than the fact that he's Ichijou's grandfather."

"Well, you should try to speak a little more carefully towards the head of the vampire senate, who is also the head of the most distinguished clan of aristocratic vampires."

For a brief moment, I glanced up at him, "But you're stronger than him, right? And I'm not scared of you. In fact, I could take you on and survive, so there would be no reason to be scared of that old man."

A small, amused smirk remained on his face as he let my arm go and head upstairs, away from the rest of the vampire crowd.

Running my hand through my messy hair for the tenth time today, I made my way to the kitchen, ignoring the strange looks the other vampires were giving me. I was hoping for no more interruptions, but unfortunately, luck was not on my side today.

"Wow, what a way to make an entrance, huh?" Aido laughed, blocking my way to the kitchen.

"Shut up and move please. I just woke up and I'm hungry."

"Scary~! You're hungry? Watch out, Keiko-chan is going to eat everyone here!"

Pushing him aside, I shoved my foot roughly down on his as he let out a shout. I was in no mood to deal with Aido today.

"That hurt! You little-"

"Dumbass, that's not what I meant," Teasing him anyway, I gazed up at him and licked my lips, "Unless... you want to offer me some of your vampire flesh?"

Aido turned even paler, if that was even possible, and shook his head slowly. In the background, I could hear Ruka and Kain trying to hold in their laughter as they watched silently. Even Shiki and Rima had let out a chuckle at Aido.

Rolling my eyes, I squeezed past him, satisfied at finally being able to enter the kitchen. Honestly, this whole time I had just wanted a cup of coffee.

---

a/n: HNnnGhHhHh U GUYSSSS we reached 50k+ reads!!! i remember when i started this fanfic a looooooooong time ago and wasn't expecting much from it, but it actually turned out getting 50k+ reads so, thank you so much <3 i hope you enjoy this chapter!