Magick

"All your life, you've never seen a woman taken by the wind."
-Stevie Nicks, Rhiannon

I open the door to my house. Sarafina follows behind me. I can smell my mom brewing one of her potions. The air is very herbal. How pleasant.

"Hey, Mom," I say, as my new friend and I walk into the kitchen.

My mom turns around from her brewing. She faces us, and then walks towards us. The train of her black dress flows behind her. She smiles. "Hey, girls! Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Not really," I say. "I am just going to show Sarafina to my room."

"Alright," says Mom. "Just don't get into any trouble."

With that, Sarafina and I walk upstairs. This is it, I think. This is the moment I tell Sarafina she's a witch. This is going to be a life altering moment for her. I can feel it.

I open my door. I motion Sarafina into my medium-sized room. "Here is my chamber," I say.

Sarafina walks in. She runs her fingers on the deep red walls. She walks around for a little bit. Her mouth drops a little. Her eyes brighten up. I can tell she's a curious girl, just based on her facial expressions and the fact that she is walking around my unexciting room, seemingly amused by every little trinket I have.

Sarafina reaches my altar. It is a brown desk filled with herbs, crystals, tarot cards, and a Book of Shadows. "What is this?" She asks.

I walk over to my altar and accompany Sarafina. "I actually meant to show you that. It's my altar."

Sarafina looks at me. Her eyebrows are scrunched, and her lip is in a half frown. She is obviously confused.

"But, we aren't in a church," she says.

I sigh. "It's a different kind of altar. It's an altar for a witch."

Sarafina's expression immediately changes from confusion to Horror. She is probably still thinking in a Christian mind set. Her dad probably taught her Witches were evil when she was very young. It is likely she has that belief drilled into her head. Now I am the one who has to get it out.

"Y-your a witch?" She asks me, her lips trembling.

"Yeah. And so are you," I reply.

Now, Sarafina's hands are on her hips. "I am not a witch. I don't worship the devil."

"Neither do I. Witches worship nature and work with energy," I say.

Sarafina nods. "I was raised Christian. What makes you think I am a witch? Not that I have anything against dirt-worshipping hippies like you. I am just curious."

"We had a telepathic conversation yesterday. We talked to each other using only our minds," I say.

"Oh, yeah. We did. But can't anyone do that?" She asks me.

I shake my head. "Nope. Just Witches."

Sarafina walks over to my bed, and plops onto it. She is clearly in the biggest shock of her life. "Wow," she says, "I can't believe this. I'm a...I really am...a witch."

I walk over to the bed. I stand next to it. "Yup. You are."

"Well, okay. But what's the point of you telling me?" She asks.

"If you don't know you're a witch, you won't be able to control your gifts. If you can't control your gifts, you could end up really messing with nature's forces," I say.

"Oh," says Sarafina. "That makes sense. But how do I learn to control my gifts?"

I sit down on the bed, and stroke Sarafina's dark blue hair. A girl really needs comfort at a time like this. "You can practice Wicca with me. But here's the deal. You can't tell ANYONE."

Sarafina sits right back up. She looks at me and says, "Why not?"

"Witches have been persecuted for their beliefs since day one. If people find out, you could be severely punished," I say.

Sarafina nodds. "Alright," she says. "Sounds like a deal."

I hop off the bed, and walk to my altar. I grab the Book of Shadows. I hand it to Sarafina. "This is the Wiccan bible. You have got to read through it, but make sure your dad doesn't see it."

"Okay," says Sarafina. "I'll find a place to hide it."

"Great. And we can talk tomorrow about what you've read."