“Don’t ever think you’re strong-or smarter-than me,” he said.

                “Aw, Jude’s mommy needs him home early? What a shame for the rest of us,” Sonnet said as she stood up with Ethan.

                “Actually, I can stay until five. Then I have to leave for a dinner with my parents and my father’s boss. See, unlike you, we’re important people,” Jude said.

                “It’s nice that your parents make you feel important. Someone has to like you,” Sonnet said with a shrug.

                “Gideon does,” Jude said, his eyes flashing to me.

                I went right over to him and slapped him, sick of his damn smugness and attitude. He had won Gideon’s heart through lies and deception, and nothing more.

                “What the hell is wrong with you? I try to be nice to you, but you’re just mental,” Jude snapped, crawling away from me.

                “What?” I asked, too confused to even hit him again.

                “Damn you Jude,” Sonnet snapped.

                I looked at her, realizing that she had popped the camera of her iPod out of her pocket to record what was happening. She pulled her iPod out and locked it, tossing it on the air mattress.

                “You can’t outsmart me,” Jude said, his smirk returning. He glanced at me and shrugged, lifting his leg and kicking me in the chest.

                I stumbled backwards and Ethan caught me. I rubbed my chest, wishing the most violent death I could possibly conjure on Jude.

                The bedroom door opened and Gideon stepped into the room. “I made us all some pancakes! Come on guys!” he said cheerfully.

                I moved out of Ethan’s arms and stalked out of the room, wanting to get away from Jude before I had to be sent away for murder. The other’s followed me out to Gideon’s dining room, and we sat down, helping ourselves to the stack of pancakes Gideon had prepared for us.

                “Gideon, I have to leave around five. My parents need me home,” Jude said.

                “Alright Jude,” Gideon said. He was sitting next to Jude, his chair closer to Jude’s than it really needed to be.

                I angrily stuffed a forkful of pancake in my mouth as I watched them. What was it that Gideon saw in Jude but not in me? Was it because I wasn’t as attractive and rich? Because I sucked at soccer? Because I didn’t have some obnoxiously inconvenient first name like Judeikas?

                “I feel like you’re a Snickers commercial, Benji. You’re not you when you’re hungry,” Ethan said.

                “I’m not even hungry! I just hate being awake!” I growled.

                “Oh, just eat,” Ethan said, rolling his eyes and forcing me to take another bite of pancake.

                “So, what are we doing today?” Sonnet asked.

                “I was thinking we could ride bikes across the street for a little,” Gideon said with a shrug.

                “Sounds fun to me,” Jude said.