Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

“And then Mr Francis caught me,” Little J breathed, concluding the long tale of how she came to be attending university.

Her family stared at her, realisation filling their faces.

Both her sisters sat together on the settee with their husbands standing behind them. Henry sat with their parents while Harrison sat beside Little J with James sitting next to him.

“I am shocked!” Kitty said, poorly feigning the emotion. “Utterly shocked!”

“Save it, Kitty, we already know you know,” Emilia smirked. “I wouldn’t venture into a theatre career.”

Kitty rolled her eyes and threw her arms up in the air. “Well, I’m glad everyone knows now. I’m glad everyone knows how brilliant our Little J truly is.”

Little J’s cheeks reddened at the compliment. As she’d told her story they’d never said anything negative. To start with they’d made small comments on how they would have understood and how she should have let them in on the secret … but secretly she knew they were glad there was no secret affair going on.

“You’re actually going to be a doctor?” Henry asked in disbelief. “With blood?”

She could have sworn her younger brother was turning green. Her twenty year old brother would make a much better solicitor than a doctor himself.

“Henry, she’s already been elbow deep in my innards, I’m sure she will make a fine doctor. Should any ailment afflict them, Doctor Alcott, you shall be my children’s doctor,” Kitty said faithfully.

Little J’s eyes immediately shot to William to see his reaction at his children being treated by a woman but he seemed completely comfortable.

“They may be my only patients,” she remarked. “I might have the degree, but that doesn’t mean people will trust me.”

“Then people are stupid,” James snapped.

“I agree,” Harrison chimed in. “I was actually going to ask you this later, but now is as good a time as ever,” he said, turning in his seat to face her. He looked at her intently.

Little J felt her heart quicken. Was he going to propose in front of her whole family? Was she about to be engaged? A wide smile spread across her face as she listened.

“I have several rooms in my practice, one I’m sure that you can turn into your office … would you like to work with me?”

Little J was about to say ‘yes’ when she registered what he’d actually said. Her disappointment evaporated when she realised that his offer was one that she could only ever dream of. However, before she could answer, her mother interrupted.