Chapter One: Back Home

Sounds of construction filled Princess Luna's ears as she made her way slowly down the corridor of the palace. To most ponies, the sounds would be harsh and grating, but to Luna, they were music. They were sounds of work being done on the throne room, where a new place for Luna was being built. They were sounds of ancient wrongs being made right again. Besides, her exile on the moon was utterly silent, except for her own voice and the voice of her departed friend, Midnight Winter. Through some strange event, when she died, Midnight had become a star in the night sky Luna controlled. This left her as a shimmering mist version of herself, appearing and disappearing on the moon where Luna had been exiled. That form of Midnight had dissolved into stardust when the bridge had been formed that would lead Luna home. But again, through some magic, Midnight Winter had been resurrected and made immortal in the form of a batpony mare. There are more immortals than there were when I left. Luna mused. Cadance, Midnight, and maybe more to come! Luna had met Cadance only a few short weeks earlier, a mere two days after returning home from exile. The pink alicorn had begun life as a pegasus, but had proved worthy to be made a Princess. For a split second after meeting Cadance, Luna had wondered if Cadance was her replacement. But Cadance's duty was not the moon, but to oversee the living love that bound the creatures of Equestria together. However, Cadance's coronation was not the only thing that had changed Equestrian while Luna was gone. For one thing, the entire city of Canterlot had been moved up the side of a cliff! Besides that, new protocol had been invented. New towns and cities had sprung up all over Equestria. But there was one very important development in Equestria, and her name was Twilight Sparkle. Twilight was Celestia's star pupil, a brilliant purple unicorn. She was making advances in the field of magic, one of which was the destruction of Nightmare Moon, Luna's nightmare self. For that, Luna would be forever grateful to Twilight Sparkle. Bit today was not about the purple pony, her friends, or their accomplishments. Today was about the beginning of Luna's reintegration into Equestria's society. Celestia, Cadance, Midnight Winter, and Captain Shining Armor of the Royal Guard awaited Luna in a room just down this hall. There, a meeting would be held to discuss the best move for Luna going forward. Today is the beginning of a brand new start! I can reinvent myself to be whoever I want to be! Thinking of that and many more happy thoughts, Luna broke into a bouncy trot, the train of her beautiful gown flopping around behind her.