Chapter 28

It was quiet that night, not a sound to be heard that could interrupt my curious thoughts. The lights in everyone's houses were off, only darkness was shown through the windows. Where was the light that would illuminate through the evening's darkness? Where were the people that walked along the sidewalks with light smiles that represented their peaceful aura? Where was everyone?

I had such a good time at school that day. Learning. . . Achieving satisfactory grades. . . Succeeding in socializing and making friends. All I wanted to do was tell my parents and my brother right away, not that my Father would care very much.

That evening was solemn . . . tense, with not even a little indication of a presence. Just a slight whisper from someone unknown would ease this lonely feeling that made my spine chill. The slight breeze that overtook that night made fear crawl through my skin, which in turn caused my heavy steps to speed up. I wanted to go home. . .

But little did I know, home was no more.

When I saw them, I didn't believe it. I was under the assumption that this wasn't reality, but a nightmare that seemed so vivid, so real. Their lifeless corpses caused a wave of panic that seemed to cripple my every emotion. Once my brother stepped out of the darkness and into the moonlight that shone through the swaying curtains of the open window, I felt safe, because I knew he would protect me.

My fear-driven eyes narrowed at the sword that had the color of crimson dripping off the sharp tip. What is this? What is this feeling?

It was betrayal.

Anger.

Fury. . .

And now that I'm confronted with him at this very moment after all these years, I feel the same emotions coursing throw my mind and my body. His onyx eyes are now looking at her. . . She's under his watch and I can't take this torment I'm under.

"Well little brother?"

The young Uchiha's expression contorted into something dark. What could he say to the brother he hasn't seen in what seemed like ages? All Sasuke could do was stand in the doorway and stare at Itachi. It wasn't until his elder brother's eyes narrowed at the unconscious detective that laid behind him on the floor of the room, her head tilted to the side, with her bubblegum-colored hair tickling her face, until he snapped out of his day dreaming faze.

Stepping forward in an intimidating manner, Sasuke spat, "Don't even look at her."

Itachi averted his eyes to Sasuke and said with zero expression present, "Look at you, Sasuke. You've finally learned to love again."

"I wouldn't have had to re-learn something so simple if it weren't for you," The younger Uchiha could already feel the hate coming to a boiling point and adrenaline was about to reach its surface.

With a light chuckle, Itachi replied, "Maybe so, but," he leaned close to Sasuke's ear, "will you be strong enough to save Sakura, or will you be just as weak as you were when I killed our parents?"

Tightening the grip on his katana, he screamed, "Shut up!"

The long sword swung at such speed in the hopes of striking the man, but the sound of metal against metal echoed throughout the narrow hallway, and Sasuke's eyes averted to where his sword hit. It was dagger against katana by then, both weapons were battling each other in a war of strength, as the two were in the same position, but trying to overcome one another. The two brothers stared into each other's eyes, but the younger one lost concentration as the image of his older brother at a young age popped into his mind.