Chapter Five: Test Subject #137

8:38am (James's P.O.V)

I finally arrive at work. Late. Great, boss will kill me. The guard sees my ID and the fence opens. I drive inside and park. Once I'm out of the car, I walk to the door and press my hand against a screen. It recognizes my fingerprints and the door opens. I walk inside and try to get to my station as quietly as possible.

I press the elevator button and the doors open. The last person I wanted to see, was waiting inside. My boss.

"Good morning, Mr. Solent" I say.

"Ah, James Middleton. How many times have I told you? Call me Chris" he says.

His tongue spits every word out like poison. His evil nature shows in everything he does. Every move, every word.

"Little late this morning, aren't we?" he asks.

"Yeah, sorry sir. My daughter is a teenager, you know? It's hard without Dolly's help as her mother. It's like being a single parent" I reply.

"Ah, Victoria. Does she still hide in the forest and spy on us like a little rat?" he asks.

"Excuse me?" I ask.

"We monitor our grounds and the forest beyond it, Mr. Middleton. We have footage of your daughter watching us, studying us. Rather smart, ain't she?" she says.

"I told her to stop. She won't be doing that anymore, sir" I assure him.

"Good. Otherwise she'd become a problem to the organization. And you know very well what we do with threats and problems, James. I wouldn't want to see that precious girl of yours in one of our testing labs" he says.

I swallow hard. Can he see how much I'm scared of him? The sweat dripping down my forehead? The nervous laughs? My complete obedience?

"Anyhow, we got some new test subjects for you in the Cures and Viruses Department. In fact we have new test subjects in all of our fields. Fears, Limitations, Psychology, Cures/Viruses, Natural Exposures and Human Mutations. All six have more than enough of new resources" he says.

"Then why kidnap the extra girl? She isn't even the age you usually take them at. She's 17.....just like...." he finishes for me.

"Just like your daughter".

I don't reply. It could have been Victoria. I can't complain. I should consider myself lucky. The elevator reaches my floor and slows down.

"Where will she be placed?" I ask.

"Human Mutations. That 7 year old boy didn't make it and we had to get rid of his body. The mutation requires an older test subject" he replies.

The door opens and I quickly step out.

"Have a good and productive day, James" he adds on.

"You too, sir" I reply.

The door closes and I quickly rush into my lab. I have to do my job. I have to protect my daughter. I can't get sensitive about one test subject. I can't give Christopher Solent a reason to come after me and what I care about most. Victoria.

I just have to do my job. Create cures to viruses and cover up for the facility. At least my work benefits the outside world. It doesn't make up for what really goes on in here but it's something. It's better than kidnapping and using kids for tests. That would be a far worse job.

I put down my brief case and put on my lab coat. After putting on my gloves, I make my way down the hall to the holding area. I slide my ID at the door and enter the cold room. The door closes behind me and I take a seat next to my patient.