Chapter Three: The Friendship Bracelet

6:25pm (Sandra's P.O.V)

"You know guys, I should be going home. It's already dark out. My mother is probably home watching the news, she'll get worried once that missing people thing comes on" I say.

"Oh come on Sandra, your house is only a few blocks from here" Bruce replies.

"Ugh, shut up Bruce. You don't even give a damn about your girlfriend. You just let her walk out when she was clearly upset. Why the hell would I listen to you?" I snap at him.

"She's being paranoid. She spends too much time in that damn forest. It's like she has some sort of obsession. She's not the same girl I fell in love with anymore. Ever since she got that blue highlight in her hair, she's been so depressing to be with" he says.

"You're suppose to be her boyfriend. You're suppose to be there for her when she's depressed or paranoid. You act like that's a chore. You'd rather be here, wouldn't you? Hooking up with other girls?" I say.

"Yeah, well at least I wouldn't be chasing her around a forest like a damn animal. She's so crazy about that place, I wouldn't be surprised if she does drugs there by herself" he says.

"You're such a dick. I'm leaving, I'm going to find Vicki because you make me sick to my stomach" I get up from the table.

"Have fun searching for her. That damn forest is a maze, I don't know how she knows her way around it so well" he replies.

"Sandra, be careful. It's dark out and late. Don't look for her for too long. Her father will call the cops if she doesn't come home" Stephan speaks up.

"I'll be fine. Good night everyone. See y'all at school tomorrow!" I say, waving to my friends and leaving the Palm Haven Cafe.

I soon realize that I have no idea where to look for Vicki. However, there is a place close to my house where I do my best thinking. I start walking towards the playground. It's dark now and there are no kids around. It's strange to be at an empty playground. It's like an abandoned theme park. Not like I've ever been to a theme park. I never left the island. Not even when my grandmother died and they had to bury her on mainland because we don't have a cemetery or a graveyard in Darkcliff.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I notice movement. I walk closer and recognize her right away. Victoria Middleton. I sit next to her on a swing and without a word begin to rock back and forth. The wind blowing through my short hair.

"How long have you been here?" I finally ask.

"Since I left" she replies.

"You should break up with Bruce. He's a dick and he doesn't deserve you" I say.

"I know" she says.

Wow. That was easy. I look over at her. Her long black hair flowing in the wind behind her. The moon making her blue highlight stand out even more than during daytime. I decide to change the topic from Bruce.

"Why do you go out into the forest and spy on the facility?" I ask.

"Ever since my bestfriend went missing when we were six, my view of life in Darkcliff changed. Things kept getting worse and I realized how blind I've been. Nothing is what it seems. I stopped trusting people. Anything that seems good or beneficial, I question it. I don't believe that the facility is what they say it is. And now these kidnappings? It has to all be tied together somehow" she says.

"Your boyfriend says you're paranoid. That you know the forest like the back of your hand. That you spend more time on that side of the island than this one. He even assumed you do drugs and flat out admitted that you're depressing to him" I say.