5. Dwayne's Knocking

I scoffed towards Addie and Josh, who were happily snuggled on the couch, as I headed towards the kitchen. Addie looked up at me, shooting me a glance before unraveling from Josh and chasing after me. We didn't exchange words while I looked through the fridge and she jumped on the counter. I poured two glasses of juice, sliding one towards her and lifting the other to my lips. She stared at me while I drank, and after shooting her a questioning glance, finally raised my voice to talk to her.

"Can I help you Addie?" She finally smiled and started drinking her juice. I sighed and pushed myself up and onto the counter next to her. I've never been able to resist Addie and her games, and often that was the only way to get her to talk. I laughed softly thinking of the hard core Gamma, trained to fight and retain the utmost respect dealing with Addie.

"Why are you laughing?" Her eyes gleamed with curiosity, offsetting her radiant smile. It was silent for a moment, as I struggled with the right words.

"I was imagining Josh putting up with you. Honestly Addie, you guys are such opposites. Would you even be with him if it weren't for the mate bond?" I didn't mean for my words to sound as harsh as they came out, but it didn't seem to phase her.

"Eh, I'm not sure if I'm being honest. I don't know him without the bond. We're different, I know, but it works so well. He keeps me grounded and I think I'm making him a little softer." She smiled softly when she talked, but her expression changed when she thought. "They're not happy about that. Josh hasn't told me much about his past, but I know it wasn't good. Alpha Howard is upset that Josh isn't acting a certain way. He wants to send Josh away somewhere again, but Josh said he thinks he can talk himself out of it. It makes me scared Care, I just want us to be happy. He won't claim me until everything is sorted out with Alpha Howard. If it isn't sorted out, do you think he'd reject me?" The look of fear in Addie's eyes shook me to the bone. My eyes shot to Josh in the other room, my own thoughts and worries mixing in with Addie's. I don't want to lose my brother again.

"I don't think he'd reject you Add, I see the way he looks at you, the way he cares. Talk to him, okay? Ask about his past, tell him your worries, he will listen to you, I promise." She was the one to pull me into a hug. The warmth of friendship enveloped me and secured me.

"I love him Care."

"Then tell him Addie."

We sat just hugging for a few minutes. When we pulled away, it was solely for more juice, and we fell right back into happy spirits. Addie had new jokes to crack, and as eye roll worthy as they were, they made you smile.

"Knock Knock." She never could keep a poker face, and her smile spread across her face and lit up her eyes.

"Who's there?" I finished taking a sip of my drink and set it down so in the event Addie's joke was good, I wouldn't spit take. Or choke, if it was as bad as the last one

"Dwayne."

"Why is Dwayne knocking on-"

"NO CARRY ASK WHO HE IS"

I silently glared at her while she held in her own laughter.

"Dwayne who?

"Dwayne the bathtub, I'm drowning!" She was gone in a fit of her own laughter. Her laughter caused me to start laughing, and before we knew it we were gasping for air spewed across the counter.

"I don't think I've heard anything more beautiful than your laughter." Addie's cheeks went red right as Josh wrapped his arms around her. Their display of affection didn't bother me, I was sincerely happy that my brother and best friend had found their other half.