Chapter Six

I open the door fully, and let out a gasp.

Hazel eyes.

Jet black hair styled in a perfect pompadour.

Amir.

Words fail to leave my mouth, and I just stare at my best friend while gaping like a fish.

"Is this a dream?.." I ask out loud in a tiny whisper.

My favourite sound, Amir's booming delicious laugh, fills my ears and the entire hallway. "It's really me Madiha, I'm here!" He exclaims while flashing his pearly whites and that's all it took for me to finally feel at ease.

"Oh Amir!" I cry, leaping in to his open arms. I start blubbering like a baby, to my embarrassment, and bury my head in to the crook of his neck. And then we both just burst out laughing and remain like that for the next five minutes.

"How?!" I manage to ask between laughs while peering up at him.
"Did you really think I'd let my best friend move half across the world without me?! Hell no! We're a package deal and believe it or not both our parents know that. I was enrolled on to the programme right after you!" He laughs. "I just thought I wouldn't tell you to make the surprise even better!"

I lean away from him with narrowed eyes and without warning smack him on the arm, very hard. "That's evil! I hate you." I glare at him angrily. "I thought I wasn't going to see you for another year and you weren't going to speak to me ever again. I thought I lost my best friend!" I say truthfully, and my lower lip juts out in a slight pout.

"Hey hey, I'm sorry. Okay? But come on you should know that'll never happen. Ever. Okay?" He says in a serious tone.

I try to stay angry but I start laughing again. "I know." I sigh in defeat and smile at him.

"Good. Now on to more serious things... HAVE YOU SEEN THIS PLACE?! DAYUM MAN." He booms with a clap of his hands. "Er, I mean "MashAllah! This place!""

I start to laugh uncontrollably, "New place, same Amir." I shake my head with a smile.

"You know me," he says with a little shake of his head.
"But seriously. I'm glad you're here." I grin at him.

"Bring it in sista," he opens his arms to me and I find myself in them again. I enhale his musky smell and my heart feels at ease for the first time since being here.

*Amir's POV*

I wrap my arms around my best friend, and the longing and void I've felt this past month without her, feels filled.
I love her. I tell her that all the time, but not the way she perceives it. Sure, we grew up together and our closeness is taken as a brother/sister bond. But somewhere along the line... I started to develop feelings for her. How couldn't I? She's perfect in every single way, MashaAllah. Well really, it is when she donned the hijab at age 13 that I truly began to fall for her. And I haven't stopped ever since. It's been two years and I haven't told her my true feelings, of course I can't. Our friendship will be destroyed because I'm sure that I'm like a brother to her and nothing else. A "twin brother" as she says actually. And I won't ever be anything more than that.

Suddenly, a cough interrupts my thought. I glance down at Madiha and she is staring up at me with the same expression.

*Madiha's POV*

I break away from Amir and turn towards the door. A beautiful girl in a peach abaya and matching hijab is staring at Amir and I.
"What's going on here?" She asks with a smirk in a strong American accent.

I look at her with genuine confusion. Strange greeting. "Salaam, my name is Madiha Bashir and I'm your new roommate. Nice to meet you," I smile at the girl warmly and hold out my hand for her to shake it.

She completely ignores me and gawks at Amir. "Who is he?! And why is he in my room?" She asks coldly. Oh no...

"This is my friend... Amir. We're both new to the Academy. It's a long story but he came and surprised me, and I was a bit overwhelmed is all." I try to explain.

"Hmm... Okay. Well boys aren't allowed up here. So I think you should go." She says to Amir.
I blush scarlet, great I must seem terrible. She's completely got the wrong idea!

"Er yeah, sure. Sorry..." Mutters Amir. "I'll see you later Mado." He looks uncomfortable and quickly walks out the room.