"I don't know, people just don't really appreciate that type of talent anymore, even less if you're a guy. Anyways, y tú mamá?" I ask, turning my head to my mother.

"My day was great," she starts.

*****

"Zabdi!!" I wake up to my mom screaming my name from the kitchen. I grunt while stretching and pulling the covers off. I look at my phone : 6:10 am. I rush downstairs to see what she wants.

"What?" I rub my eyes to adjust to the bright sun coming through the window.

"Detention is today, sí?" She asks. I nod.

"Okay you can take the car today, I'll get Sara to drive me there and back today, she's one of my coworkers, really nice." She adds.

"Okay, gracias mom." I kiss her cheek and get ready for school.

*****

My first half of the day went okay. First block was History, followed by Music, then Math. It's lunch now and Claire and I have the same lunch period. I find an empty table and wait with my tray of food as Claire walks up. She looks drained.

"How's it going?" I take a sip of my water.

"Well I'm exhausted and irritated. I start off with Math and everyone knows that numbers aren't my forte then I have Gym which was fun, then English and my class is just out of control. It's an adjustment alright." She says imitating mom.

"Have you made any friends at least?" I ask, hoping to get her talking about something else.

"If I had friends, would I be sitting here alone with you?" She gives me a sassy look.

"Well my bad, I was just wondering cause clearly neither have I." I say whole gesturing to the empty seats next to me.

"I just wish we didn't have to leave our friends back home. I miss everything, the classes, the people, everything." She sighs while picking at her food.

"Well this is home now. I mean it's the least we can do, mom needed to get out and she deserved better than Eduardo and everything in Puerto Rico. She does everything for us, we owe her that." I say, my voice slightly shaky and my eyes glossy. I'm not even able to call my own father "dad". I've lost my respect for him and all I want to do is forget about him. She simply nods and takes my hand and squeezes it to comfort me. She knows how I feel about our father and all the trouble he's caused our family. I squeeze hers back and manage to give her a small smile.

*****

Baylie's POV

I just finished Bio and I'm off to my locker. Olivia and I both have Bio 12 because we took Bio 11 when we were in grade 10 which means next year we'll get another spare. I place my books in my locker and remember that I have detention in 5 minutes. I sigh at the thought but chuckle as the memory of how we got the detention comes back. It was worth it. As I walk to the music class where Miss Robinson is probably waiting, Olivia joins me. We get there and the door is open, but the teacher is not there. I throw my bag on the floor next to the desk that I'll be sitting at for this painful 2 hours. I sit down and pull out my homework and a pencil. Olivia does the same and within the next minute, two more people come in, the new girl from my Math class, Claire, I think and what looks like her brother. He's kinda cute, you should talk to him, my conscience says. No. Guys are stupid don't even bother. I mean, he's probably a fuckboy. I shake off the thought and look down at my math homework. I've never enjoyed math, and grade 11 Math is the hardest class I've ever taken. I let out a sigh as Erick Brian Colón and Yoandri Cabrera walk in. Erick seems almost at home as he picks a desk and kicks his feet up, meanwhile Yoandri looks uncomfortable and completely out of his element. It's 2:30 and detention is officially starting, which means the only people here today are the six of us.

No one said a word for the first 5 minutes but the new boy, he kept his glancing back at me. Maybe he was daydreaming? No way he's actually looking at me.. Miss Robinson finally entered the music room and interrupted my train of thought.

"Good afternoon everyone," Miss Robinson said as she placed some books down on her desk. She made eyes contact with all of us then stopped on the new kids.

"The new kids in detention already?" She joked and they looked embarrassed and upset. She was probably one of the nicest teachers around. She was up and about in the class, moving and dusting things, and we all stayed quiet while working on our homework. But it didn't take long until Miss Robinson appeared frustrated and spoke up again.

"Alright I've decided that I'm not going to let you guys just sit there and do your homework. Instead, you guys are going to help me tidy up in here. As you can all see, it's a mess here and apparently no one could bother helping me, even though I didn't leave this room like this when I left last year. So we'll put these 2 hours to good use and we'll straighten everything up in here. I tried last night, but it's hard to do alone." She finished, handing us all rags to dust with and Erick and Olivia grumbled as they got up from their desks. I sighed quietly so that Miss Robinson wouldn't br able to hear it and got up from my desk.

"While you guys start, I'm going to go grab some suplies and things. I'll be back in maybe 15 minutes. Don't do anything you're not supposed to do." She said and we all nodded and got to work.

_____________________________________________

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while, I was busy but I might update again with the next chapter tonight.

What did you guys think about CNCO'S Times Square performance?! I'm in love!

Vote, comment and share please, love you all:))

-Claire xx