Chapter 4

Zabdiel's POV

Claire and I met up outside at the front entrance of the school as everyone either left in their cars, by bus, or by foot. I texted mom at lunch saying that Claire and I would walk home so we could explore Miami a little bit. We walked towards our house and just talked on the way. We found a couple cool places to hang out, and it turns out our school is really close to a golf course, not that any of us play but still. It's about 15 minutes by walk but it was nice. We get home and I use the key that my mom left under the mat because she was still at work. It's 3:10 pm right now and she should be back by 6 or so. Claire and I enter and both go straight to our rooms. We both just wanted to be alonr right now, I think. Our day was crazy. It's insane how quickly we got detention and no one bothered even looking at us. And the teachers, they don't really care about you, I mean they know your name but there are over 2000 students that attend this school so they don't really put much effort in getting to know you. But I'm still bothered by the fact that no one, not even one person bothered talking to me. Not even a simple "hey". At this rate, Claire will be my only friend, and I love her, but having your sister as your only friend can be kinda sad and I already spend every single day with her so it'd be nice to have actual friends.

*****

As I'm laying on my bed listening to Mientes by Camila, I faintly hear the front door open and close. Mom must be home, I think to myself as I pause my music and go to greet her.

"Hola." I kiss her on the cheek and sit at the table.

"Hey, mijo." She smiles and sets her bags down. A few seconds later Claire rushes down and hugs her.

"Hey, you." My mom says.

"Hey mom, uhm I have to tell yo- well actually Zabdi and I have to tell you something." She starts. Oh god, she's gonna bring up the detention.

"What is it?" mom furrowed her brows.

"Well you see, Claire and I got detention because we were in the halls trying to find our way to the lecture hall and a teacher assumed we were skipping class so she gave us detention right there and we didn't get to explain ourselves, don't be mad please.." I blurt out, while looking down at the table, so mom couldn't stop me. I lift my eyes slightly. She just looks at both of us and smiles a little while shaking her head.

"Guys, I'm not mad. I mean it's definitely an adjustment you're going to have to make because it's not the same school, and it may seem absurd to get a detention for that but what can you do. I'm not mad. I believe you both and I know that it won't happen again. Just go to that detention, whenever it is, and get it over with. Once it's done, maybe ask a friend to show you around the school when you have time?" She suggests.

"Well the problem with that is that within the 2000 and more students that go to Miami Beach Senior High, well none of them want to talk to us so he only friend I have is him." Claire says while gesturing to me.

"It was only your first day, I'm sure you're both going to make friends in no time. So other than that, how'd it go?" Mom pulls up a chair and looks excited to hear our answers.

"Well it was okay, kind of awkward because I'm me but you know. Oh, I signed up for girls volleyball, but that's basically it." Claire answers first while getting up to grab a bottle of water.

"Nothing happened, it was boring and I didn't even bother looking at sports signup sheets. I saw some music paper but I don't do music in front of others." I say.

"I still don't understand that, I mean you have a talent so why not put it to good use? You'd be reeling in all the girls if you sang or anything like that." Claire giggles and nudges my arm.