Chapter 6

"I've never been so nervous in my life," Jackie breathed. She peered through the tinted window of the limo, seeing what appeared to be hundreds of people and paparazzi lined up for miles. She was sure her mind exaggerated the scene a bit, but making her first official public appearance as the fiancee of Prince Harry was bound to make even the best nervous.

"Don't be, just smile and wave. If you're up to it you can flirt with the guests and paps a bit, they'll eat it right up," Harry advised.

Jackie nodded and let out a long sigh, slightly releasing the knot that had formed in her stomach. "I hope I don't trip, or choke on my drink, or flash everyone when I get out of the car, Elizabeth says I have the tendency to do that."

"As much as I would love to see that, I don't think my grandmother would appreciate it," Harry joked. He gave Jackie a reassuring smile. "Don't worry. Just be yourself, and they'll love you."

Jackie couldn't help but to grin. "Thank you."

The driver pulled the limo to a stop, and through Harry's window, Jackie could see the red carpet spread from the curb, lined with flashing cameras and cheering fans. The event was a celebrity fundraiser for a charity Harry was deeply involved with, which helped to provide housing and support for UK Veterans. Dozens of actors, singers, and other notable guests were attending, but Harry had been named the guest of honor. Of course he was bringing Jackie along.

"Does my dress look alright?" Jackie asked, the thought of a stain or tear causing her chest to burn.

Harry shook his head and laughed. "You look stunning. Ready?"

"Ready."

The door to the limo was opened from the outside and the cheers became overwhelming. Numerous female voices screamed "Harry!"

Once Harry had climbed from the car, Jackie followed, swinging her feet to the ground, knees tightly clenched, in one fluid motion before taking Harry's hand and standing in full view of the cameras. Elizabeth would be proud. Jackie stood hardly more than an inch from Harry's side and matched his pace as they were greeted by the organization committee.

"Thank you so much for coming tonight, Your Highness, Ms. Baker," a small man, the director of the event, gushed.

Harry grinned. "It's great to be here."

"Thank you for having us," Jackie added with a smile.

Then, Jackie looped her arm through Harry's before they walked onto the red carpet, flashes popping off at a blinding and deafening rate. There were cheers and shouts, Jackie's stomach growing warm at the sound of a few "Jackie!"s amongst all the "Harry!"s.

Jackie smiled for the cameras, her left hand on Harry's arm to give a good shot of the ring- orders of Harry's secretary, Michael. After a few moments, Jackie took a few steps away from Harry to allow for some shots of the Prince on his own, also orders from Michael. But as soon as she did, there was a tidal wave of sound from the camera men, all motioning for Jackie to step back into the frame with Harry.

"Come on," Harry said with a laugh, holding out his arm, Jackie stepping back into his side.

After a few hundred more flashbulb pops, Harry and Jackie continued down the carpet. Jackie grinned and waved at the people who had lined up at the temporary barricades, holding flags and cheering.

Then, something caught her eye. There was a woman standing up against the barricade, a little girl, about one, in her arms. The baby was crying, probably tired- it was nearly 8 pm- and disturbed by all the noise. Jackie let go of Harry's arm, striding towards the woman and her baby. She could sense the security agents tensing up, but she didn't care.

"Who's this?" Jackie asked the woman, gently touching the crying baby's hand.

"Felicity," the woman said, looking excited and flustered. "She's so tired, but I couldn't find anyone to watch her and I wanted to come so badly."

"Can I hold her?" Jackie asked the mother.

"Of course!" she gushed, handing the crying baby to Jackie.

Felicity's cries stopped as she took in Jackie's face with a sort of confused look. "You are very sweet," Jackie cooed, grinning at the baby.

"Can I get a picture?" the woman asked.

"Of course!" Jackie, still holding Felicity, leaned in so that she and the woman were nearly cheek to cheek, smiling at a phone one of the other spectators held. Jackie's heat warmed when she thought of the photo of herself with a Princess Diana. She wondered if this photo would mean as much to Felicity in 28 years as Jackie's did to her.

"Thank you so much," said the mother, her eyes welling with tears. "I'll tell her this story when she's old enough to understand!"

"You have a very beautiful baby," Jackie said as she handed the now calm Felicity back to her mother. "I hope you enjoy your night!"

"Thank you!" the mother called as Jackie moved down the line of fans, trying her hardest to shake each of the desperate hands stretched towards her.

Jackie could see that Harry had followed her lead, greeting his screaming fans. She knew talking to the crowd wasn't part of the plan, but it was hard to ignore all of the people she knew had been waiting for hours just to catch a glimpse of the couple.

There were a few requests from women to see Jackie's engagement ring. According to the tabloid report she had read that morning, major jewelry stores had had thousands of requests for rings just like hers. Jackie had been asked to consider okaying a limited amount of certified reproductions. She was thinking about authorizing a very small amount and donating all proceeds to a charity of her choosing.

"Jackie!"

Jackie turned from the person she had just shaken hands with to see a reporter from BBC, holding a microphone, looking eager to see the future Princess mingling, an opportunity for a direct comment.

"Good to see you," Jackie said politely.

She was about to continue walking when the reporter shouted, "Is it hard doing these appearances with Harry? The red carpet must be stressful!"

Jackie turned, glancing at Harry a few feet away, leaning down to get on the level of a small elderly woman in a festive union flag hat he was speaking with.

"I would walk through hell with him, so this is actually quite pleasant."

---

Hello all! I decided to try something new, I used Polyvore to create an outfit I picture Jackie wearing during the chapter. Would you like me to continue to do so? Thanks for reading!