Chapter 14

"Don't be nervous, dear, you look wonderful."

Jackie chewed on the inside of her lip, scrutinizing her reflection. She was wearing a new coat from Beulah London, solid red with a thin belt around her waist. Black sheer tights and pointed toe heels completed it. Her shoulder length blonde hair was loosely curled, as usual. "Are you sure? The red isn't too much?"

Elizabeth shook her head. "You look very much like a Duchess."

Jackie smiled, but her stomach continued to turn. She was preparing for her a sort of dry run for her new role as Duchess or So-and-So. She and Harry were taking a tour of a new veteran's center, where the physically disabled could get physical therapy, the mentally scarred could get psychotherapy, and all could find a community of support. Obviously, Harry wanted to draw attention to such a place, and Jackie was interested to see the medical part of it- as well as to support Harry. 

Elizabeth explained that the purpose of the visit was not only to give Jackie some practice as a Duchess, but also to draw publicity to the approaching royal wedding. As Elizabeth said, the monarchy only existed with the support of the public, and thrived when there were special occasions within it. Therefore, whether it be a birth, a wedding, a birthday, anything really, there was to be as much excitement and attention drawn to it as possible. And so, Harry and Jackie would be attending all sorts of openings and festivals and the like, parading their love and the ring. 

"Do you have any tips?" Jackie asked, looking for all the help she could get.

"I think one thing that really makes a difference is to always keep a facial expression. Don't allow your face to relax, because often, it causes you to look angry."

Jackie laughed. "That's called 'resting bitch face'." 

Elizabeth gave Jackie a scolding look, but, as usual, a hint of a smile emerged. "If something sad is being said, be sure look sad. If something happy or amusing is being said, be sure you are smiling. And if nothing at all is being said, I recommend a small smile, or a sort of inquisitive look."

"And what would that look like?" Jackie asked, trying to look serious.

"Like so." Elizabeth demonstrated an expression, which Jackie had to admit, was quite impressive. She looked genuinely interested in the lamp she was staring at, and if Jackie were on the receiving end of it, would feel very important and 'listened to'. 

"I think I can do that." 

The sound of a phone vibrating drew Jackie's attention. She picked up her iPhone and smiled at a message from none other than the Duchess of Cambridge. 'Good luck! Don't forget to smile.'

"Look what Kate says," Jackie said, handing her phone over to Elizabeth. 

Her unofficial lady-in-waiting smiled, giving an approving nod. "Great minds think alike." With that, Elizabeth stood from the dining table in Jackie's Kensington Palace apartment, gathering some papers and neatly placing them in her briefcase. "It's nine o'clock, time to get going." 

Jackie gave her hair a fluffing in the mirror before following Elizabeth to the door. Just as she was about to push it open, the handle was pulled out of her hand, the person on the other side walking right into her. "Oh, sorry!" 

Jackie laughed as Harry pretended to brush dirt off of her coat. "What if you'd have ruined my hair?" 

The corners of Harry's eyes crinkled with a smile. "Granny would have had to declare a national emergency. But you do look lovely, as always." 

Jackie gave her fiancé a peck. "Thank you." She could hear Elizabeth clear her throat ever so slightly. "I think we'd better get going." 

---