Chapter 7

Warnings:If you don't know the drill by now then shame on you. But actually this one has shock collar use and it's not a joke.

It had become a normal part of the day. Emmett and Kai would meet up early in the morning before school, Emmett would supply Kai with food and then they would walk the rest of the way together enjoying each others company.

Kai was always quick to down the food, eating within a quick five minutes. Leaving nothing left and usually Emmett brought the short boy a sub. Emmett seems to really love subs, especially Italian with extra banana peppers.

Emmet can't help but notice the subtle changes in Kai. Only about two weeks and Kai seems to have put a little bit more meat on him thankfully. His hair has become more healthy to the look and touch. Even his eyes seem to hold more. Plus Kai had defiantly opened up to him much more, He has learned a lot about the small boy who actually does have a personality passed the stuttering and constant fear that hold him back.

"Hey Emmett, what's your favorite animal?" Kai said as he broke the trance making Emmett snap his head back to the front. His tanned cheeks lightly dusted from realizing he was staring too long.

Emmett's eyes quickly glanced over to Kai with his eyebrows raised. "My favorite animal?"

Kai nodded his head, staying quite.

"Umm, I guess I have to say...a stag. Ya know a male deer. They're pretty majestic looking. What's yours?"

"Birds, in general though. They are so beautiful and they have no boundaries, they can fly to where ever they want when ever they want. Can you imagine what it's like to fly away from everything? To just leave with the beat of wings, to fly high away from their homes? It's almost magical." A small smile danced across his face as he talked on about birds. He stretched his arms out wide with his small slender fingers sprawled out as if they were feathers.

Emmett froze as he watched Kai continue to walk. His eyes softening at the realization.

"Do want to fly away?"

The question came out of his mouth before he could stop it, thinking out loud had never been a good trait of his. He mentally kicked himself, afraid of how Kai was going to react.

Startled, Kai stopped walking as his arms dropped back down to his side and looked back towards Emmett. His eyes hollowed and face impassive. His posture was tensed and his hands now balled up into fist.

"I don't have wings."

The taller boy sucked in his breath. He didn't know how to respond to this. When he finally let out his breath it came out as a soft sigh whispering the other boys name.

Kai visibly relaxed. All the tension seemed to melt away and the emotion on his face over flowed.

"You don't need to feel sad for me because I'm okay. I know how to live with this and I'm stronger than I look." Kai's gaze softened and shifted to the ground, his green eyes half lidded and shiny with his lanky arms folding around his body. Though what he said sounded confident and his voice never wavered, his body language said otherwise.

Emmett walked over to Kai, stopping just in front of him to place a gentle hand on the golden hair. The small gesture causing the green eyed boy to look up.

"I know your strong. I would never doubt that, but having someone to lean on doesn't make you weak, it makes you stronger because you are able to confront everything head on wether you realize that or not." His voice calm and soothing, low and resonating. "You just need to spread those wings."