Stay With Me

Chapter Four

Stay With Me

Darius' POV –

Having to work in the same house as the girl whose heart I broke served to be more difficult than I could ever imagine. When Oliver hooked me up with this company, the morning I was due to work they texted me the address of where we would start. When I saw it was the house across the road from me, it was way too late for me not to go.

I convinced myself that it would be the worst thing to do – that when Summer saw me, she would curse me, and ask me to be fired. But of course, she did the opposite of what anyone would do and let me be.

It was Saturday today, which meant I was able to escape the silent wrath of Jenson and the longing of knowing that Summer was in the house and that I couldn't see her.

I was meeting up with Oliver today, he was back in town just like me after going away to Ohio for college. We had decided during our freshmen year that we would return to Vermont. I wish I had a really macho idea for why I wanted to come back to Vermont. But there were three very truthful reasons: Summer, Summer and Summer.

My phone rang and I quickly picked it up, seeing Oliver's name written across the screen.

"Hey, you ready?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way. I'll meet you there."

Oliver was my cousin, we were pretty close growing up, and besides Summer, he was the best friend I had growing up. We spent most of our free time doing construction in the yard of his house, and today I was meeting up with him to help him build items he was commissioned for.

I grabbed a sweater and headed out the door, and as usual, my gaze went straight to her house. And there she was standing in the driveway, sprouting off loudly to whoever was on the phone with her. I could tell she was angry from the way her arms were waving in frustration rather than animation.

There was obviously something wrong and instincts I had developed for eleven years were kicking in. I wanted to see what was bothering her, so that I could help. But then again, I knew she hated me, so I couldn't see how trying to help her would go down.

The whole reason for me moving back was Summer, and I couldn't put off trying to approach her. I knew I had to suck it up and endure her hatred, and God knew I deserved it.

She hung up the phone and a few seconds later, her eyes were on mine. But rather than look away, she held my gaze and I just knew she was challenging me. She was tiny, but mighty intimidating when she wanted to be, and this was a time that me, the guy who towered over her, would crawl to her feet in forgiveness.

When both of us wouldn't look away, I knew that I had to make a move. Maybe she would talk to me about why she was so frustrated, and even better: maybe I could help?

So I began to walk across the street, and the closer I was to her, the more her intimidation slipped away.

"No, no, Darius. I'm pissed, this is really the wrong time to even be in the same vicinity as me."

"For you, there will never be a right time. So instead of avoiding me, why can't you just talk to me?" I tried to be as diplomatic as I could be, but there were only so many ways I could voice my thoughts to her.

"You're kidding right? You live across the street from me, we are going to be attending the same college, we have the same friends, for God's sake, you work in my house! So I think you should understand why I feel no need for you to be near me."