Smile

Chapter 6 ~ Smile

"Shinako, why don't you smile?"

Her head snapped to the red head before turning to look back down at her table. Deep in thought about the question, she didn't notice he called her by her first name instead of her last.

"I've never seen you smile before."

She gripped her pen tightly. "I don't like to smile."

"Why not?"

She pursed her lips. "I look ugly," she said bluntly.

"How do you know?"

"Cause I've seen myself smile," she replied, fiddling with the tips of her hair with one hand and twiddled with the cap of the pen in the other.

Akashi Seijuro frowned at her. She wasn't ugly or unattractive but the thing with her was that she was always frowning or she always looked expressionless. Her expressionless face always made her seem unapproachable and cold. But that was what drew him to her in the first place. She was different from the other girls who flaunted their looks.

The bell rang and Shinako got out of her seat, quickly exiting the classroom without even saying a goodbye to Seijurou like she usually did.

She was kind of happy that she's been talking with Seijurou more. But no matter how much he talks to her, the blush will still be on her face. All basketball players weren't like Shintaro. Seijurou was kind, gentle. She couldn't understand why he still sits beside her even though the girl who took his seat sat at another place already. Maybe because he likes talking to me? She thought but quickly shoved it away. As if he would like talking to me. I'm boring.

She walked to her next class, History. It was the only class she shared with Shintaro.

She sat at the last row, beside the window while Shintaro sat at the first row beside the door. They acted like they did not even know each other and they it didn't really bother them. They were used to it.

A yellow haired boy took his seat beside her and she looked at him blankly before turning to look out the window.

The teacher came in and told them to take out their textbooks. Shinako groaned quietly before taking out her textbook and placing it on her table.

"Uh, I forget to bring my textbook," said the yellow haired boy beside her, who was unfortunately the well known 'Kise-kun'.

The teacher sighed at him, "Share with Midorima."

Shinako pinched the bridge of her nose as the yellow haired boy retorted in an annoying and whiny voice, "But Midorimacchi is sitting so far away."

The teacher pushed up his glasses and scowled. "Midorima Shinako, the one beside you. Not Midorima Shintaro."

At his words the yellow haired boy looked at her with his golden eyes. "Oh, OK..."

A few girls giggled, murmuring among themselves about how cute Kise Ryouta was.

Disgusting, Shinako thought, sending an ice cold glare to the back of their heads.

He pushed his table towards her and pulled his seat before sitting beside her. Shinako put her textbook in the middle so that he could also look at it.

She quietly listened to the teacher, ignoring the yellow head's stares. She tapped her pen on the table with her taped left hand. She used to tape her left hand because it annoyed Shintaro. But now, it was just a habit so she does it all the time now, only taking it out during exams. It was all Shintaro's fault.

Kise Ryouta found her weird. Most of the time, girls would be all over him right now but not her. She's acting like he didn't exist. The more he looked at her the more similarities she would find between Shintaro and her. They had the same shade of green hair and light green eyes and they both had almond shaped eyes. They were both wearing glasses and they both didn't talk that much. Or smile for that matter. But she didn't look that bad in fact, better than most girls. Her hair was pretty as well as her eyes but she would look better if she smiled.

"I'm Kise Ryouta," he said, trying to make small talk with Shinako.

She glanced at him boredly. "Midorima Shinako."

"Your brother is Midorimacchi?" He asked, not giving up.

"Yes."

From the first row, Shintaro sneezed. Who is talking about me? He thought to himself as he looked around the classroom.

"You both look alike."

"We're twins."

"What club are you from?"

"Literature club."

"Do you like basketball?"

She answered without hesitation. "I hate basketball."

Kise Ryouta was taken aback by her answer. Shintaro loved basketball so why didn't his sister? Before he could ask anymore, the bell rang and she closed her textbook, chunking it into her bag before she stood up and walked out the class.