Chapter 3

Lexy sat at the table doing some beading. She sat there with mixed feelings. She felt sad because she couldn't see Thomas tonight, and mad because he forced her to take a lift with Connor.

Then she felt some joy when she served Anthony. This is so strange to her. She doesn't know why but he radiates joy. She felt so safe and loved. This is confusing her. Loved? They don't even know each other, but she feels that she should know him.

He gave her a very generous tip. She felt bad for taking it. It was too much. Even when he insisted that she keep it, she felt guilty. She only wished she got it the day before. She could have paid for Emily's excursion in time. "I guess some things aren't meant to be." She said to herself.

When she opened the door the following morning it wasn't Thomas standing there, it was Connor.

"Morning Sunshine! Are you girls ready?"

"Morning Connor. What are you doing here?"

"Thomas asked me to give you girls a lift. He said he won't be back in time."

"Back from where?"

"He didn't say."

At the diner everyone was looking rather sad and Lexi didn't know what was going on.

"Annie, please tell me what's going on. Why is everybody so sad? Even Elma is crying."

"Haven't you heard? Thomas's dad had a relapse and he had to rush him to hospital last night. On his way to hospital he slid of the road and crashed into a tree. Thomas is badly injured and his father died. Thomas is in a coma and they don't think he will make it."

"What? No, that can't be true." She said and started crying.

"I'm afraid it's true. Apparently he hit his head very hard. His mother and brother went to the hospital in the early hours of this morning when they got the news."

The atmosphere at the diner was very somber the whole day. Lexi couldn't stop crying. She couldn't bare losing Thomas. Not now that they planned on seeing each other after all these years.

It was Christmas eve. She prayed for one more miracle. "Please God, don't let Thomas die. Please." She prayed crying.

She was sitting at the corner booth where she always sat waiting for customers. Without knowing it she took out the hair pin and was playing with it.

"You seem more sad tonight than the other night."

When she looked up Anthony was sitting across from her. "Hello Anthony. I'm sorry." She said wiping the tears from her face and wanting to get up.

"Don't go." He said touching her hands. "What's wrong?"

"A good friend of mine and his father were in an accident. His father died and he is in a coma. They don't know if he is going to make it."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Let's pray together. This is the season for miracles you know." Lexi closed her eyes and remembered the same words her grandmother used to say. The words she believed in all her life.

They sat there for a long while holding hands and praying.

After a long silence he said: "Lexy I have something to tell you. That hair pin you've got belonged to my grandmother. It comes in a set of two. My sister and I each got one the day she died."

He took out the pin he had and handed it to her.

"It's exactly the same. My grandmother said it was our family's last Heirloom."

Anthony took out a photograph from his pocket and gave it to Lexy.

She gasped when she saw the picture: "This is my grandmother. Where did you get this photo?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

"She was my sister. She was twelve years older than me."

"Why did she never mention you?" For the first time Lexy understood why Anthony's eyes seemed so familiar.

"Our parents had a marriage arranged for her with someone she didn't love. She loved your grandfather and ran away with him. I have been looking for her ever since my wife died eight years ago and I finally found you."

"I'm not alone after all." She whispered while staring at the pins in her hand. It sparkled effervescently in the twinkling Christmas lights.

"After she left we weren't allowed to mention her name in our house ever again. I missed her all these years. My sister and I were very close. My world stopped when she left. After she left I had to endure my parents wrath all on my own. When my wife died I was very lonely. It's then I took the opportunity to look for her. I hired a private investigator to find her. When he told me that she died seven years ago and that she had a daughter I came to find you."

"Why didn't my grandmother ever tell me?"

"Our parents were very harsh. They cut her off completely when she left. They sent her a message telling her that she doesn't exist for them anymore and she must never contact them again. I think she was afraid. How could she tell you about someone that didn't acknowledge her anymore?"

"What's going to happen now?"

"I know you have been struggling since your husband died and that you have been trying to cope alone. You can do one of two things. One.... That pin is a rare piece and very valuable. If you sell it you will never be in need again."

"What is option two? Because I will never sell the last piece I have left of my grandmother."

"Option two.... You can accept me as your family and you will inherit the van Dues's fortune."

She sat there speechless and didn't say anything for a long time.

"I have been praying for a miracle for my daughter and I." She said crying.

"God heard my prayers. I don't have to struggle anymore and deprive my daughter of all she deserves."

He took her hand in his and when she looked up at him there were tears running down his face.

"Thank you Lexy. You don't know how much it means to me hearing you say that. I might not have my sister back. But I have something... someone that was most precious to her."

"Lexy, Lexy. Thomas woke up and he is asking for you." Conner shouted as he ran to her.

"Thank God." She cried while hugging Anthony. "Miracles do still happen. Christmas is a time for miracles."